Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
omfk
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Frank Knappe

Entire computer vs. volume level backup

Post by omfk »

Hello,

what is the difference in time needed for a backup between "entire computer" vs. "volume level backup"? Or does this have only small influence on the backup time?

We have a W2012 server with a ~2.5TB file service, where I would like to exclude certain folders. At the moment they are all clustered around the file service, but I would create an extra volume for them. Can I create then a daily backup schedule every day but the excluded files only once a week (they consist some kind of archive only)?

BR
Frank
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Entire computer vs. volume level backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Frank,

Entire PC backup is a volume backup with all the volumes checked by default. It ensures that Bare Metal Restore will work, however you can go for volume level backup and select windows partition and the system partition - that would work too.
Can I create then a daily backup schedule every day but the excluded files only once a week (they consist some kind of archive only)?
There is only one backup job, so you can configure source and schedule only once.
omfk
Expert

Post by omfk »

Thanks for the clarification for both issues.

Do you have a suggestion how I could achieve different schedules for different sources?

How would I achieve this functionality if the file server would be a virtualized one?

BR
Frank
rekun
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rene Knudsen

Post by rekun »

Hi Frank

If you were running Veeam Backup & Replication and backing up virtualised servers, you could create different jobs (like a daily job and a weekly job) with different settings to accomplise your goal.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Do you have a suggestion how I could achieve different schedules for different sources?
In VEB, only by manually changing the backup settings.
How would I achieve this functionality if the file server would be a virtualized one?
Rene is right. If the file server is virtualized, you can use our flagship product Veeam Backup and Replication.
omfk
Expert

Post by omfk »

Thanks to both of you. We already have an Veeam Essential license for our virtualized servers up and running. Time to change the fileserver, too.

BR
Frank
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Frank,

Glad to hear. Let us know how it goes or if you face any questions. Cheers!