Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bcharp82
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brandon

ExaGrid 1st timer...Need advice

Post by bcharp82 »

Hello,

I recently acquired a Exagrid EX13000 and am looking to integrate it into my Veeam backup solution. I'm currently running VM backup jobs to a Dell NAS and then doing backup copies to another site to a Buffalo NAS attached to a Dell server for a gateway.

Is it possible to use the Exagrid dedupe appliance as the backup target and still perform backup copies to a traditional NAS offsite?
ChrisSnell
Technology Partner
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris Snell

Re: ExaGrid 1st timer...Need advice

Post by ChrisSnell »

Brandon - you should be very happy with your recent acquisition!

It is perfectly possible to use the ExaGrid as a primary backup target and then carry out copy jobs to another remote repository, in fact many of our customers do this from one ExaGrid to another. Just be aware that the landing zone is sized at 13TB, meaning you should be backing up up to 13TB of full backups per week. The copy jobs should occur during the first week that the source backup has been taken.

If you use an ExaGrid as the primary target, and a traditional NAS offsite, does this mean you'll have a longer retention policy on the ExaGrid than the NAS?
bcharp82
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brandon

Post by bcharp82 »

ChrisSnell wrote:Brandon - you should be very happy with your recent acquisition!

It is perfectly possible to use the ExaGrid as a primary backup target and then carry out copy jobs to another remote repository, in fact many of our customers do this from one ExaGrid to another.
My intention is to get another EX13000 in the future so the two appliances can replicate
If you use an ExaGrid as the primary target, and a traditional NAS offsite, does this mean you'll have a longer retention policy on the ExaGrid than the NAS?
The NAS is 16tb and the Exagrid came partitioned as 50/50 for landing zone/retention space so I believe that is 13tb for retention. I believe this would allow me to have a longer retention policy on the NAS.
ChrisSnell
Technology Partner
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris Snell

Post by ChrisSnell »

The ExaGrid retention space will provide the ability to keep many fulls due to the dedupe capabilities. This will mean 13TB of retention space on the ExaGrid should provide the ability to have longer retention than the equivalent NAS.

I've asked your support rep to contact you directly if you want some hands-on assistance.