Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
c0utta
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: c0utta

File archive strategy

Post by c0utta »

Hi guys,

I’m seeking some advice for creating file archives, just trying to make sure I’ve got the right strategy.

Veeam 9.0 is running on Windows 2012 R2 and are also using backup tape.

I want the ability to keep a backup archive of file changes for an extended period of time. User data is stored on one drive on Windows guest and only that data drive is being backed up by Veeam. This file data doesn’t change very often, so apart from the initial seed, we are seeing a minimal amount of data copied across the WAN to offsite storage.

The backup job is a reverse incremental with 90 restore points, which gives the ability to restore file changes. We have conducted numerous tests and find that it works well, and we have restored a file that was 8 weeks old that we needed.

Is this strategy sound? If so:
- Should I “Enable guest file system indexing” for the job?
- How many restore points are safe? Is it feasible to have a yearly archive (365 restore points) ?
- What steps should be taken at the end of the period? Copy the archive to tape and then consolidate so that the next period starts afresh?

Thanks in advance!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: File archive strategy

Post by Shestakov »

Hi c0utta and welcome to the community!
-What steps should be taken at the end of the period? Copy the archive to tape and then consolidate so that the next period starts afresh?
How often do you want to copy backups on tapes? Generally it`s not recommended to use reverse incremental for backup jobs if you copy the backups to tape because you will always copy full backup instead of increments.
-How many restore points are safe? Is it feasible to have a yearly archive (365 restore points) ?
Some users successfully use 365-points chains, but note that restore from the far backup will take significant amount of time.
-Should I “Enable guest file system indexing” for the job?
That`s up to you. Guest file indexing allows you to search for VM guest OS files inside VM backups and perform 1-click restore in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager, but that is optional.
Thanks!
c0utta
Novice

Post by c0utta »

Shestakov wrote:Hi c0utta and welcome to the community!
Nice to be here. Been using Veeam for a while, but now getting serious!
Shestakov wrote:How often do you want to copy backups on tapes? Generally it's not recommended to use reverse incremental for backup jobs if you copy the backups to tape because you will always copy full backup instead of increments.
I'm not sure of the terminology, but at the end of the "period" (whether it be 90 days or 365 days), is it possible to roll all the changes into a single backup and just back that up to tape? This backup then provides the seed for the next backup series.
Some users successfully use 365-points chains, but note that restore from the far backup will take significant amount of time.
OK, no problem on the time it takes to restore
That`s up to you. Guest file indexing allows you to search for VM guest OS files inside VM backups and perform 1-click restore in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager, but that is optional.
Consider it done!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I'm not sure of the terminology, but at the end of the "period" (whether it be 90 days or 365 days), is it possible to roll all the changes into a single backup and just back that up to tape? This backup then provides the seed for the next backup series.
If you backup all the chain to tape let`s say once in 90 days having 90 days retention of the primary backup job, reverse incremental method is a good choice.
c0utta
Novice

Post by c0utta »

Hi Shestakov,

Thanks for your advice - most appreciated.

Here's my plan:
- create a yearly archive (365/366 days of retention)
- on 1-Jan, backup the archive chain to tape
- consolidate the backup (not sure how to do this, so would appreciate some direction)

Sounds too easy!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

What is the purpose of the backup consolidation in your case?
When you have 365 points long backup chain and backup job makes a new restore point, the oldest one will be automatically deleted. So you will have 365 points in the main chain all the time.
c0utta
Novice

Post by c0utta »

Now that you've asked the question - I don't know! The backup would take up less space but then continually grow throughout the year.

BUT, the consolidated backup would be useless for a few months so it would be best to leave 365 days.

Thanks for your help.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

yep, I would not consolidate the backup chain. Since it`s recommended to have 2 copies of backups + disk restore is much faster.
Thanks!
c0utta
Novice

Post by c0utta »

This then leads me to my next question - what would be the best method to verify the backup chain isn't corrupted?

Is this where SureBackup is used, or is that only useful for whole VM's?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are correct, Surebackup is the best recovery verification.
Thanks!