Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tomstephens89
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Stephens

Advice needed for backup plan

Post by tomstephens89 »

Hi guys,

Im new to Veeam, I am testing it on recommendation.

I have a small infrastructure to back up. My goal is simple:

1 Weekly Full + 6 Incremental backups, 30 days retention in order to allow me to restore to any day within the past 30 days. I will also be replicating this off site over WAN which looks pretty straight forwards using a backup copy job.

I then need to copy the last FULL backup every month to another repository and retain for 12 months. Now its this I can't quite get my head round. Would I use a Backup copy job, with GFS retention set for 12 months?

Could someone give me some pointers on how to achieve the monthly full backup copy? I may also want to replicate this offsite as well once a month.

Regards
Tom
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Advice needed for backup plan

Post by foggy »

Hi Tom and welcome to the community forums. To achieve what you want you can just enable GFS retention in the backup copy job and configure it to keep 12 monthly backups, each of them will be a separate full backup file. If you want it to land on another repository (not the same that the backup copy job points to), you can use another copy job for that, however, do you really need it to be another repository?
tomstephens89
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Stephens

Re: Advice needed for backup plan

Post by tomstephens89 »

foggy wrote:Hi Tom and welcome to the community forums. To achieve what you want you can just enable GFS retention in the backup copy job and configure it to keep 12 monthly backups, each of them will be a separate full backup file. If you want it to land on another repository (not the same that the backup copy job points to), you can use another copy job for that, however, do you really need it to be another repository?
Thanks. The logic behind another repository was due to the way I plan to implement things.

Initially, I will be putting a single server with local storage both on site and off site. This is to provide 1 month of daily backups via the forward incremental plan, retaining each sundays full backup until the 1 month is up. I am going to use a copy job to replicate this offsite as well.

Stage 2 is to implement the monthly backup copy plan with 12 month retention. If I am able to expand the original repositories with extra disks then I shall do that. Otherwise I figured I might need a separate repository for the 12 month plan.

Quick question.

The 30 days forward incremental plan.... Am I right in thinking this will take its initial backup, then 6 incrementals, and on the 7th day, (depending on synthetic or active) will merge the previous incrementals into a new full backup. I need to retain every one of these weekly full backups until the 30 days is up, is this possible?

Tom