flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Retention and Restore Points Question

Post by flavor4real »

Hello,
Got a question:
I got a job running ever 2 hrs from 0600 to 1800, Restore Points to keep on disk is set to 18, Run the Job is set to "Periodically every 2 hrs. So that means the backup job will run 7 times within the time frame of 6 in themorning to 6 in the evening. Since the Restore Point to keep is set to 18, it will keep the last 2 1/2 days.

Monday to friday the differentials are running but according to retention policy it runs only 2 1/2 days, which would be monday, tuesday, and half of wednesday. The Sythetic full backup is set to run on the weekend. So, what will happen on the second half of wednesday, the thursday and friday? Will it re-run? next question, after the synthetic job completed. How will veeam clean out the older jobs? will there be a conflict?

FYI, i'm trying to clean this here out, just started with this ;)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Re: Retention and Restore Points Question

Post by Gostev »

Hello, we cannot delete backups which are out of retention until new full is created, and until you no longer need to restore from latest incremental in previous chain. So, you retention policy of 18 points will be mostly ignored.

This is exactly why for near constant protection (anything more often than daily backups) we recommend using reversed incremental backup mode.
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Re: Retention and Restore Points Question

Post by flavor4real »

interesting,.. I'm cleaning up the existing backup jobs, u know.

Hey thanks for the information. I've learn a lot form you guys today. thanks again