Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Salm
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Hyper-V 2016 and 9.5 issues - Follow up

Post by Salm »

Hello !

I'd like to know if you guys have a follow up on this post : microsoft-hyper-v-f25/9-5-hyper-v-known ... 38927.html
• Application-aware processing of VMs with guest OS other than Windows Server 2016 fails with the “Failed to take in-guest VSS snapshot COM error: Code: 0x80042308” error. This issue is fixed in the recent Windows Updates for the corresponding operating systems.
This one was fixed in an August patch.
• Application-aware processing of Active Directory domain controllers running on guest OS other than Windows Server 2016 fails with the “Failed to create VM recovery checkpoint” error (32770). This is a Hyper-V 2016 issue that Microsoft is planning to address in the future update.
This one still has not been resolved, as far as I can tell (at least it fails on my 2012 R2 DC, fully updated).

But there is 0 info on the biggest one for me :
Resilient Change Tracking (RCT) returns incorrect changes for VMs which had their virtual disks moved with Storage Live Migration, resulting in corrupt backups. This is a Hyper-V 2016 issue that Microsoft is planning to address in the future update. Until then, disable the use of changed block tracking for any jobs processing such VMs.
Did you guys get any update from MS on these issues ?

Thanks !
SteelContainer
Service Provider
Liked: 22 times

Re: Hyper-V 2016 and 9.5 issues - Follow up

Post by SteelContainer »

+1 - Also looking for info on these...
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

The RCT incorrect changes should be resolved with this update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -14393-693 which was released 10th of January. Please note that I could not test it. It is MSFT itself that said that this update fixes that specific bug>

Hope it helps
Mike
RogerJany
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Roger Jany

Post by RogerJany »

The Second Problem exists on 2008r2 DC's to. I hope the fix is coming soon.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Roger,

Correct. The bug is still there and is for every non 2016 DC unfortunately. Still no news on a potential fix. We keep monitoring it
Cheers
Mike