Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
baber
Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

difference between Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows and vee

Post by baber »

dear all
Hi

what is difference between Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows and veeam free end point ?

BR
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: difference between Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows and

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi BR,

Veeam Endpoint Backup as a name will disappear. The next version for VEB (now 1.5) will also be called Veeam agent for Windows 2.0. But starting from then, there will be 3 editions. Free, Workstation and Server with the latest 2 being paid versions. The free edition will have all the functionality of today but will add more such as encryption. We are certainly not stopping the development of the free version. The workstation and server edition will have more functionality though. Things such as direct backup to a cloud-connect service provider, backup cache, an API to do configuration remotely (for larger companies) and integration into the Veeam Availability Console and for the server version more application aware processing (the same as we have today in Veeam Backup & Replication), guest file indexing and transaction log backups.

Hope it makes it a bit more clear
Brgds,
Mike
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

thanks

but i am soe confused i understand these are correct?

1- veeam free endpoint not support indexing
2 - veeam free endpoint not support vss
3 - and both of them free end point and Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows can integrade with veeam backup and replication

BR
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

1. The free version does indeed not support indexing, but you are perfectly capable of restoring a single file (or files) through the Veeam Explorer. The file indexing feature in the server version allows you to do 1-click file level restore through enterprise manager which is a specific solution in Veeam Backup & Replication.
2. It does support VSS, just like it does today. Nothing will change there. For example, if you have a SQL running it will still be VSS that is used to make the database ready for backup
3. The free version backups can be saved to a VBR repository, the others also. But management itself remotely (such as configuration for example) is not possible with the free version
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

you say

But management itself remotely (such as configuration for example) is not possible on free end point

but i know we can integrate free end point to veeam backup and replication
i know for get backup from physical server we have to install free end point seprately on each physical server now want to know with Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows have to install seprate on each physical server ?

BR
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Correct,

Although you can do a silent install (and use GPO or other tools such as SCCM) to deploy it to the server, the configuration will need to be done manually per each server. You can't "distribute" the configuration remotely in the free version.
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

is your means just install Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows on veeam backup and replication server and will integrate with veeam backup and replication i can remotely through veeam backup and replication install Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows on all of windows server and scheduled for get backup ?

BR
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

No. You will still need to install the VAW (Veeam agent for windows) on each server. This can be done by pushing it (but then you need the Veeam Availability Console (VAC)) or through tools such as SCCM. The difference is that you will need to configure VAW manually in the free version, meaning that you need to go to each server and configure the settings.

Through VAC you can assign or deploy configurations remotely to the servers / workstations and if you don't have VAC but you do have the paid version, then you can use a tool such as SCCM or scripts or GPO or ... and use an API (this will be a command switch) to configure it. This means that you create a configuration once, and distribute that configuration during the installation (or afterwards when you want to change the configuration)

Note that VBR is not used here. VBR is only used when you want to store your backups on a VBR repository, but there is no push or configuration possibility. That is through VAC or through the API

Cheers
Mike
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

1-in both mode vaw and free endpoint i have to directly connect to physical server and run application for get backup ?

2 - in both mode just for restore can use from veeam backup and replication ?

BR
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

1. Yes, for the configuration. Afterwards the backup is scheduled and will run according to your schedule
2. Correct, you will be able to restore files through VBR
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

Mike Resseler wrote:1. Yes, for the configuration. Afterwards the backup is scheduled and will run according to your schedule
2. Correct, you will be able to restore files through VBR
realy confused i could not understand what is the benefit of VAW

with both of them we can integrate with veeam backup and replication
with both of them have to remote to physical server and install agent manually
with both of them can get backup from entire server and finally restore a file (indexing) from entire backup

now realy confused

BR
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi BR,

Let me try again.

First VAW is the new name of VEB so VEB will become VAW. Only with 3 editions.

Yes you can integrate into Veeam Backup & Replication, but only storing the data in a repository.
No, the paid version you don't need to remote to the physical server, only the free versions
Yes you can restore a file from the B&R server but the backup is not indexed, so you need to point to the file yourself. So there won't be a "catalogue" available to see what files are inside. You will need to start the restore through the Veeam Explorer and then you can search for the file. With the indexing option, you can use enterprise manager to look at the content of that backup

Cheers
Mike
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

realy i think i am so crazy because so confused :

1 - do i have to just install VAW on veeam backup and replication server and now can install this agent without direct connect to physical server ?
2 -

before that you said vaw for server has these features :

more application aware processing (the same as we have today in Veeam Backup & Replication), guest file indexing and transaction log backups.

is your means from application aware processing that for example can get live backup from sql server db ?

is your means from guest file indexing that can get entire backup from vm and restore just one file from that ?

BR
rekun
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rene Knudsen

Post by rekun »

Hi Barber

Veeam Agent for Windows is not a new product, but just a renaming of the "old" endpoint backup.

The free edition looks and behave just like the old endpoint backup. It also includes all the same features (including VSS) plus some new like encryption.

You will install it and manage it just like endpoint backup, which is by logging in the every computer or server and and install it and configure backup job. And you can still point it to your Backup and Replication server.

On top of this there is 2 new versions with more features, the workstation edition and server edition. They both include support, and options to backup directly to a cloud server by using CloudConnect. The server edition is designed for typical server workloads and will truncate SQL and Exchange logs, and set AD servers in restore mode when restored.

The paid editions can also be deployed and configured by tools like Veeam Availability Console and SCCM. This makes it easy to deploy to 100 computers with a few clicks.

So you should just consider Veeam Agent free as a new name for endpoint backup free, as they look, work and behave the same
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

if install VAW on veeam backup and replication server it will be integrate with that and now through can backup from all of physical server and veeam backup and replication can install VAW on physical server remotely

is that correct ?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yep, Rene is absolutely correct.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

does VEB support server 2016 or do we need to wait for the VAW 2.0 to go GM?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Frank,

VAW 2.0 will support 2016. VEB 1.5 not.

Cheers
Mike
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

going into production tomorrow, hopefully we ca soon be backed up :)
rbarbaro
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Raimond Barbaro

Post by rbarbaro »

Mike Resseler wrote:Through VAC you can assign or deploy configurations remotely to the servers / workstations "
Mike, are you saying that if we have VAC we can still deploy configurations to VAW FREE?

Thanks
Raimond
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Raimond,

VAC will be able to license free agents but this will require a license file with agent counters added to VAC.
spyderz
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: alan simms

Post by spyderz »

So far my experience with VEB has been pretty good. I'm glad to hear they have come out with a new version. My main concern or hope for this product is that configurations can be managed from VBR.
We have about 4 physical severs we backup with VEB, and soon to add about 4 more. We only backup these physical servers once a month after we have updated them. Scheduled backups are turned off on VEB and we have to manually connect to each machine and initialize each backup to our repository.

With this new version, can I login to my Veeam Server, hosting VBR, right click the VAW jobs that show in there, and click "run job"? As of now right clicking any one of those VEB jobs showing in VBR gives you no options to choose from. In all honestly besides it showing up in VBR as reminder that's its installed on a server, is completely useless. It's like it mocks you. All VM jobs can be configured, restored, and what not. But the VEB jobs cant be. Another big thing is that I like to specify on my VM backups to only keep 1 copy on my server before overwriting the next days. These are written to tape afterwards. Since Veeam is incapable of backing up directly to tape, I'm forced to use disk space a temporary medium. But VEB, continues to create incremental. I'd rather a new full backup each time if run it, overwriting the existing. My first restore with an Veeam incremental failed that it couldn't decompress LZ4 block. Deleted full/incremental, ran full, worked perfectly.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

configurations can be managed from VBR
This functionality is planned for a next Veeam B&R version.
With this new version, can I login to my Veeam Server, hosting VBR, right click the VAW jobs that show in there, and click "run job"?
Now Veeam B&R is capable of Enabling / Disabling jobs and it cant start the job.
But VEB, continues to create incremental.
New Veeam Agent for Windows 20 can create periodic full backup (either active fulls or synthetic fulls)
AdrianL
Veeam Software
Full Name: Adrian Lowe

Post by AdrianL »

Hello baber, if I understand the above details...

You would need to use VAC if you want the swiftly easy deployment to numerous endpoints (now known as VAW). Mike did mention above that there are a few options.

1. Free "Veeam Endpoint Backup" VEB (now the free VAW agent) - is purely a manual install and backup process.
2. The licensed versions of VAW (Workstation and/or Server) - add more functionality and can still be installed manually per system BUT it can also be more elegantly rolled out using Veeam Availability Console (VAC) or SCCM (NOT Veeam B&R).

RE Mike:
"Through VAC you can assign or deploy configurations remotely to the servers / workstations and if you don't have VAC but you do have the paid version, then you can use a tool such as SCCM or scripts or GPO or ... and use an API (this will be a command switch) to configure it. This means that you create a configuration once, and distribute that configuration during the installation (or afterwards when you want to change the configuration).

Note that VBR is NOT used here. VBR is only used when you want to STORE your backups on a VBR repository, but there is NO push or configuration possibility. That is through VAC or through the custom API"

For more information on the version comparison - go here: https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint- ... -free.html / https://www.veeam.com/veeam_agent_windo ... son_ds.pdf
For FAQs on VAW: https://www.veeam.com/windows-backup-agent-faq.html
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Adrian,
Free "Veeam Endpoint Backup" VEB (now the free VAW agent) - is purely a manual install and backup process.
You still can installation in silent mode for free edition, thus deployment via third party tools like SCCM is possible. That said, job configuration remains manual.
The licensed versions of VAW (Workstation and/or Server) - add more functionality and can still be installed manually per system BUT it can also be more elegantly rolled out using Veeam Availability Console (VAC) or SCCM (NOT Veeam B&R).
Correct, since paid version has Configuration API that allows to script the backup job configuration import.
VBR is NOT used here. VBR is only used when you want to STORE your backups on a VBR repository, but there is NO push or configuration possibility. That is through VAC or through the custom API
Small correction - upcoming Veeam B&R Update 3 will have Agent Management feature on board :wink:
AdrianL
Veeam Software
Full Name: Adrian Lowe

Post by AdrianL »

Excellent.

Thanks Dima...

One more question... does VAW provide backup for "SQL cluster" support for physical and VMs? I believe it doesn't today...

Many thanks in advance,
Adrian
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

If you mean SQL clusters using Windows failover cluster, that's coming in the agent update that's a part of Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 3 as long as you're integrating the agent with VBR.

Joe
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Joe is correct,

The next update coming along with VBR 9.5 update 3 (I believe it is will be VAW 2.1) will give you windows failover cluster (traditional) and SQL always on support also

Mike