Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chattingh
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Carl Hattingh

Importing "orphaned" GFS Restore Points

Post by chattingh »

Hi

I have a question regarding Backup Copy Job GFS restore points, using B&R version 9.5 update 1.

We have a situation where we have several GFS restore points created by Backup Copy jobs that have become "orphaned" from the backup chain that created them. For various reasons, the backup chain has been deleted, but the .vbk file containing the GFS restore point is been kept. The .vbk files are located in Cloud Connect.

We may be missing something obvious, but we can't work out how to add this .vbk file and the associated restore points to the Veeam Console, and then restore data from it. The .vbk files are visible in the Files pane, but when we right-click on them, the Open command is greyed out. We've also tried to import the backups, however the Cloud Connect repository is not given as an option from which to import from. Rescanning the repo also produces no results.

I thought we could previously right-click the .vbk under the Files pane and open it from there under previous Veeam versions, but could be wrong on that point.

Do we have to create a .vbm file for orphaned GFS restore points in order to use them, and if so, how would we go about re-creating that?

I actually feel this is a weakness in the design of GFS restore points. Backup chains may come and go as requirements change. VM's are added or removed, jobs reconfigured. Things go wrong; duplicate backup chains can be created and the old ones removed. All the while keeping the GFS restore points intact. The GFS restore points are long term archival backups; they should be able to withstand the day to day changes that may occur in a typical Veeam implementation.

Thanks
Carl
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Re: Importing "orphaned" GFS Restore Points

Post by tdewin »

You should be able to import standalone vbk via the import button
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... ckups.html

When you click browse, change the filter from vbm to vbk
chattingh
Enthusiast

Post by chattingh »

Thanks, but as I mentioned, there isn't an option to import from a Cloud Connect repository.
chattingh
Enthusiast

Post by chattingh »

As a follow up on this, I logged a case with Veeam Support (02057062), and have been told this behaviour is by design. In other words, to import any .vbk files from Cloud Connect into a Veaam Console, they will need to be copied back to the local environment.

In my view, this is quite a big shortcoming, and have logged a feature request in the appropriate forum.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Already answered in the service provider forum. Thanks.