Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jawrsh
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joshua Landers

Can't control jobs in B&R

Post by jawrsh »

Windows agent backup jobs cannot be started, stopped, or edited from B&E server. Can this functionality be added?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Can't control jobs in B&R

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Joshua,

That’s true and this feature request is in the top of the list. Veeam Backup and Replication does not provide the central management options for Veeam Agent for Windows (or Linux). Basically, we provide integration with Veeam backup repository and advanced monitoring in VBR console.
chavron
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris H

Post by chavron » 2 people like this post

Hi Dima,

Can you at least tell us if this feature is being planned or not? I realize the request is at the top of the list, but a request is not a planned feature, and I've been told for over a year by Veeam that this is coming, and it hasn't happened. I don't think you guys realize the value this would give to Veeam for so many organizations. Many of us are stuck with Acronis which is HORRIBLE, and so bloated that it's not even worth messing with. There has been a lot of false hope with the Endpoint/Agent software regarding this feature, so yes or no on if this is actually going to happen would be greatly appreciated. I was very excited to get the Beta of the Agent For Windows, then saw that this still is a missing feature, and so I can't see how this is any different from Veeam Endpoint Backup (which had the agent functionality removed recently, and how there is the seperate Agent which doesn't do anything except show up in the B&R console with no way to control the endpoint.....) Just doesn't make any sense to a lot of us.

I don't think Veeam realizes the amount of money this would generate for them: a simple agent that allows physical workstations to have backups controlled and jobs chained in the same way that VM backups are. That simply doesn't exist in a way Veeam does it. It's almost so good of a feature that Veeam could just name a price and people would pay it. I've talked to many others in my field and we all have the same complaints about other imaging software, the same love of Veeam, and the same wish that this obviously-missing piece of the Veeam puzzle would complete our backup plans like never before

Have someone with authority over these matters at Veeam give me a call and I guarantee I can convince them that this needs to happen. I won't even charge for the phone call.

PLEASE DO THIS!!

PM me for my contact information.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, we cannot make comments on the roadmap.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

chavron wrote:I've been told for over a year by Veeam that this is coming, and it hasn't happened
Veeam has never announced anything like this publicly... I am very sorry someone has misinformed you, especially if you made some plans based on that statement. I wish you remembered who it was, because it is against Veeam's core values to misinform our users - and we need to address this with the specific individual.
chavron wrote:I can't see how this is any different from Veeam Endpoint Backup (which had the agent functionality removed recently, and how there is the seperate Agent which doesn't do anything except show up in the B&R console with no way to control the endpoint.....) Just doesn't make any sense to a lot of us.
I think you are misunderstanding something here. Veeam Endpoint Backup did not have anything removed: Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 is the next version of Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.5 (simply a name change) - so it has ALL the same functionality that version 1.5 had, and many NEW features added.

As far as the actual feature request, don't worry - we do realize the importance. We just needed to prioritize it among other, more important pending features. And so far, lack of advanced B&R integration did not inhibit Veeam Endpoint Backup growth - in fact, it became the single most popular Veeam product ever (over 1 million downloads in less than two years).