Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

repository.adb max size?

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I just did my first backup of one mailbox and in the repository destination I see a folder for each year.

I have it scheduled to run with more mailboxes tonight, but the repository does not behave the same way B&R does, in that it appears the 365 repository is just a folder for each year, not separated out by the job name.

Will it only create one repository.adb file per year and just grow it to as large as it needs to be? We are in the middle of migration and we know that our EMC Isilon repository has a single file size limit of 4 TB, and I could easily see a single year of 365 data at some point hitting that maximum size, if all users with items for that year are combined into a single file.

At some point will Veeam for 365 create a separate repository1.adb file or something similar, or just grow and grow?
Kostya
Veeam Software
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Kostya Yasyuk

Re: repository.adb max size?

Post by Kostya »

Hi Joshua, the maximum size of an .adb file is 64TB. What is your current repositosy size? And how many mailboxes do you have in a job?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Joshua,

To give you some more information. The .adb file is actually a running database so yes it is quite different from a typical repository from VBR. As Kostya says, the maximum size is 64 TB which means you will run into issues on your Isilon repository as it grows above that. There is nothing in VBO today that splits this up besides the yearly break into another folder.

Do you have any other possibility for storing the database? 4TB per file seems a bit low and depending on your mailboxes you can run into issues. Please look at Kostya's questions also. We won't be able to correctly say how big the repository will become but at least we can see if there is a potential problem
Thanks
Mike
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

We are still migrating, so the sizes are not fully determined. I've only backed up 7 mailboxes so far, and they are under 30 GB total. What is left on-premise is over 7 TB of storage, but that is with unimited retention, so if I'm only keeping 3 years of data in the backup, it should be lower. End game could be over 2000 mailboxes

The OneFS file system that is used by Isilon has the file size max of 4 TB. I have 100 TB of free space, but can't have a single file go over 4 TB
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OneFS_dis ... ile_system

Right now this is our backup target for all things Veeam, so for now I guess I'll have to just see if we get close to that size, but having an option to split the database either at a file size, or by job would be preferred