Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
txveamuser
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian

Adding Database w/Full Recovery Model Requires Active Full

Post by txveamuser »

I've been told by Veeam support, Case ID# 02048693, that adding a VM with a full recovery model database to an existing job will require an Active full on the job before transactional logs can be backed up and truncated. If I have a job which contains 10 VMs and I add a new Full Recovery Model Database to just one of those VMs I would have to run an active full on the job to protect this new database. This would unnecessarily run active fulls on the 9 other VMs just to get the initial backup and transactional logs running correctly on the VM with the new database.

The logic, from my perspective, seems flawed.

Does anyone have a workaround to this scenario? I would rather not create a unique VM based job for each VM which contains a full recovery model database.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Adding Database w/Full Recovery Model Requires Active Fu

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Thanks for this request. It is a bit hard to understand the whole support case and all details.

When you add a NEW VM to a backup job it will automatically create an active full backup of that VM. This should be enough to allow LogfileBackups to do their job afterwards.

In you ticket I saw that you changed some of the SQL Servers a lot and enabled/disabled Always ON AGs on them. Maybe only then a active full is needed as the job has some special settings for Always ON DAGs?

Maybe just send me a forum message with the statement of our support including date and timestamp and I can sort it out why they requested it.