Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ByteBuster
Novice
Liked: never

retention policy - keep it simple

Post by ByteBuster »

Dealing with Backups should be as simple as possible - Specifying the retention policy as "Keep restore points for the last "xx" days when computer was used" is making things really complicated - imaging a scenario where backup is taken weekly or monthly (by plugging in a USB disk) but computer is used daily - wouldn't it be much more obvious by specifing : "Delete restore points older than "xx" days" ?
GaryM
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Musytschka

Re: retention policy - keep it simple

Post by GaryM »

I see that we both see the problem with the wording. For your information, I had pointed this out last year.
Quote:

Re: "Backups to retain" question

Veeam Logoby GaryM » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:06 pm
If the menu option, Keep restore points for the last (8) days when the computer was used is not a problem, the question would not have been asked.
If the option stated Keep restore points for the last 8 backups, or last 8 weeks or ....., leaving out "when the computer was last used". The computer last used statement is the part that causes confusion. I'm sure that the computer was used each day, but not backed up each day, only on a Sunday.
A nice easy to use and setup backup program like Veeam Endpoint should have an easy to understand menu that doesn't require a manual in order to use it.
Just because it's in the users guide doesn't mean that is the way it should be.
That's the way I see it. Thanks.
End of Quote:
search for "Backups to retain" to read the whole story
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: retention policy - keep it simple

Post by Dima P. »

imaging a scenario where backup is taken weekly or monthly (by plugging in a USB disk) but computer is used daily
Good question. Retention is counted in ‘days of successful backup’. If you have one weekly backup on disk and computer was running 7 days in a row, this going to counted as one restore point.