Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GraeHunter
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Grae Hunter

Pre-Freeze and Post-Thaw Scripts for Replication VM

Post by GraeHunter »

I want to run scripts on the replicate VM not the source, but that doesn't appear to be an option.

Heres what I'm doing:
Replicate the DC and Terminal Server to a Test ESXi box that remaps it to fake versions of our subnets. this allows them to talk to each other but not the real world. Because I can't reach anyone else or RDP to it.

What I'm wanting to do:
After the above, I want to kick off Powershell Script on the replicated VM in the Fake domain (not production). The script, will change the logon.bat not to map drives and also import a version of a GPO that allows local login for all authenticated users. I don't want this to happen in the real world, just my freshly replicated, fake network VMs.

Issue:
Pre-Freeze and Post-Thaw seem to be only about executing scripts on the Production servers, not the freshly replicated ones.

Obviously I can just kick off this script once I power up the VMs, but I was hoping to automate it, so I can kick off the Replications over night, and then first thing in the morning have a fresh test environment ready. I guess it begs the question, am I doing this the hard way, and should I be using SureBack instead with test Scripts?

Regards,
Grae Hunter
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Pre-Freeze and Post-Thaw Scripts for Replication VM

Post by veremin »

You can specify your script as a post-job command. You will have to modify your script a bit, so that it powers up replica VM first and then connects to it via PS remotting.

Alternatively, you can make use of SureReplica functionality if testing replica VMs recoverability is your main goal.