Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FloG
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Florian Guenzel

v9.5 - Question about Backup Copy Job Pre-/Post-Scripts

Post by FloG »

Just a short question about the execution time of the Pre- and Post-Scripts in Backup Copy Jobs: When are these scripts executed ? Unfortunately the documentation says nothing about this. I guess that the Pre-Script is executed when the new interval starts but what about the Post-Script ? Is it executed when all the data is copied (when the notification email is sent) or is it executed when the interval ends ?

For example, if I have a Backup Copy Job that copies my weekly backup to another repository (interval of 7 days) and the actual copy step takes 30 hours, is the Post-Script executed after the copying is done (after 30 hours) or is it executed when the interval ends (after 7 days) ? And in the latter case, how can I trigger the execution of the script directly after the actual copy of the data is done ?

Thanks in advance !

Florian
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: v9.5 - Question about Backup Copy Job Pre-/Post-Scripts

Post by foggy »

Hi Florian, you're correct in your observations, the post-job script is triggered after all required data is copied.
FloG
Influencer

Post by FloG »

Thanks ! And sorry ... I must have missed that thread :oops:

Just for clarification:
If all of the above is true it starts with the Synchronization process after that the Transform operations and then if both were successful and all the configured restore points were transferred, only then does it run the post script and goes into the Idle state phase where it waits for new restore points or the end of the configured synchronization interval, whichever happens first.
Does that mean, that the Post-Script is only executed if the Sync/Transform operations succeed ? So, when one VM out of 40 for some reason fails to get copied the Post-Script is not executed ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Failed tasks shouldn't prevent script from running. It will not run only if there are any pending data processing tasks - in this case the script will be triggered when the interval expires.
FloG
Influencer

Post by FloG »

Thanks for the clarification !