Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Perry
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Perry

Warning during backup config

Post by Perry »

I get this warning when creating a backup and leaving the "Storage" area:
"This backup repository does not have proxying server specified. Backup traffic will go though first selected backup proxy server, which may result in management network overload in on-host backup mode."

I don't really understand this message. My understanding is that a proxy can be used for off-host backup (which I have) to relieve the host of some work but this massage seems to indicate that the repository needs a proxy too. Are we talking about the same proxy here or a separate one dedicated to the repository?

I am looking through the configuration options of the repository item and I don't see anywhere where a proxy could be specified or configured.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Warning during backup config

Post by veremin »

Gateway server is meant there (previous name - proxying server). More detailed information regarding this vital component can be found here.
Perry
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Perry

Post by Perry »

I have a simple topology. Just one Hyper-V host with a couple of VMs and a local repository (nas share). From my understanding a Gateway is for more complex scenarios where data needs to travel across a slow pipe to another site. So in my case it would be enough for the backup server to be the data mover, correct?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Perry,

Correct. In your case the backup server will be the backup server, guest interaction proxy, repository... The whole nine yards :-). But you will also use the Hyper-V host as an on-host proxy to do some work.

Did you already ran a few backups? Are you seeing issues?