Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Perry
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Perry

individual file backup

Post by Perry »

Can Veeam B&R backup just selected individual files rather than an entire VM? Generational?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: individual file backup

Post by veremin »

Correct and there are several ways to do that:

- Veeam Endpoint Backup (with its file backup capabilities)
- Veeam Backup & Replication. File copy job
- Veeam Backup & Replication. Backup job with only certain files included

Thanks.
Perry
Enthusiast

Post by Perry »

The "File copy job" - from what I read just copies files but does not do application consistent file specific backups that are generational and with retention policies so I don't think this is the solution. Am I wrong on this?

Regarding "Backup job with only certain files included", where do I go do that? Doesn't this still back up the entire VM? I just need one folder backed up but with a generational scheme so I can restore any one file from that folder from a given point and time within the retention policy.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Am I wrong on this?
It does not have VSS settings, if that's what you're asking for.
Regarding "Backup job with only certain files included", where do I go do that? Doesn't this still back up the entire VM?
Those settings can be found here. The snapshot is created for the entire VM, but only specific files or folders get backed up.
I just need one folder backed up but with a generational scheme so I can restore any one file from that folder from a given point and time within the retention policy.
Veeam Enpdoint Backup with its file level backup seems like a way to go.

Thanks.
Perry
Enthusiast

Post by Perry »

I see Veeam Enpdoint Backup the free. Is there a paid version too with different feature set?

Can it do generational backup with retention policy?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Is there a paid version too with different feature set?
Currently, there is no paid edition. It's coming in Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 which feature set will vary between editions. Thanks.
Perry
Enthusiast

Post by Perry »

Tried to install Veeam Enpdoint Backup on a Win Server 2016 VM and it won't install. Message is "Operating system not supported or lacks required service pack."
Perry
Enthusiast

Post by Perry »

Trying to back up user profile files which have been redirected to a NAS device. How do I backup a bunch of folders from a network share source? The backup job in VBR only has VMs as a source option.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

For your previous post, the new Agent for Windows 2.0 product is required for Windows 2016 support. Endpoint Backup 1.5 does not support Server 2016. As far as backing up files from a CIFS share using VBR, a "file copy" job may be able to do this. Note that file copy jobs do not support shared folders as a source.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

However, if you map the CIFS share to a drive letter on a Windows server, you may be able to copy them. The destination would need to be a Windows server which could also be a Veeam backup repository.

Alternatively you could use a "files to tape" job which allows you to backup folders to tape, including virtual tape libraries. Files to tape jobs directly support using a CIFS share as a source.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Joe
tntteam
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: tntteam

Post by tntteam »

Hi,

Sorry for "not so related" question but using file-backup, is there performance difference between with or without agent ?

I mean will I get better performances when backing up a windows file server using "Managed by agent" than with "Managed by backup server" ?
Especially when there is a lot of small files.

Thanks
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas » 3 people like this post

@tntteam,

The managed by agent vs managed by backup server seems to be purely a management question, not a functionality question. It basically depends on whether you do all the management via the Veeam Backup and Replication Console or via the standalone Veeam Agent for Windows/Linux on the GuestOS itself. With the latter, Veeam can only see the statistics of the job, but can't do things like on-demand backups, edit the job, etc. With the former, Veeam handles it all like a normal Veeam job.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

@tntteam:

@csydas is mostly correct. Managed by agent also means that the entire engine is running on the file server and it will be that local agent responsible for starting the job. Managed by backup server means that it will be the B&R server that will start the job, which means there are only light-weight components on the file server.

Honestly, purely from a management perspective. If that file-server is reachable by the B&R server, then choose for Managed by Backup Server
tntteam
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: tntteam

Post by tntteam »

Thank you both for answers, I ve been misleaded by this text in Veeam interface :

I thought it was about performance, not about availability :)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

No worries. As all techies we sometimes forget to read text thorough ;-)