Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Splitting up existing GFS backup copy jobs

Post by btmaus »

At the moment I have multiple backup jobs to protect my virtual machines on a daily basis on repository A.

To provide GFS restore points for the above backup jobs, I have multiple backup copy jobs (1 for each backup job). These provide weekly, monthy and yearly GFS restore points. All these restore points are located on repository B.

I would now like to split my weekly GFS restore points onto repository C, i.e. I want weekly GFS to go to a new repository and the existing monthly/yearly restore points to stay on repository B.

What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Do I create a new weekly backup copy job, and uncheck weekly backup copies from the existing backup copy jobs so that they only do monthy/yearly? Do I need to copy over the existing weekly restore points over to repository C, or will Veeam age them out automatically?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Splitting up existing GFS backup copy jobs

Post by foggy »

Hi Glenn, yes, creating an additional job for weekly retention pointing to another repository should do. You can copy existing weekly points to keep them for a month, until the new job creates the required number of weeklies, and then remove them manually (they will not be subjected to the new job's retention). If you set the number of weekly points to zero in the current job, it will remove them while applying retention on the next run.
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Re: Splitting up existing GFS backup copy jobs

Post by btmaus »

Awesome thanks foggy.