Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mpark
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Min Park

Disk to Tape - 2 retention policies

Post by mpark »

Hello all,
I'm looking to get some idea about our current tape backup retention policy setup.
Simply, we are looking for 2 retention policies:
-D2T job runs weekly with 6 weeks retention
-D2T job runs every 6 months with 24 months retention

Both tape jobs will be shipped to off-site location but my problem is that I can't use GFS to run a tape job every 6 months. So here's what I was thinking of doing:
-Create 2 separate D2T jobs, one that runs weekly with 6 weeks retention, and another one that runs every 6 months with 24 month retention and link it to one job. Both jobs will run at the same day, and same hour. Only difference is that one runs weekly and other semi-annually.

Now, on the day the job triggers both weekly and semi-annual D2T jobs, will Veeam write two sets of Tape backups instead of running only the semi-annual job?
I am looking for a way for this to behave like GFS and prevent the weekly from running when the semi-annual one runs but I doubt it will.

TIA,
MP
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Disk to Tape - 2 retention policies

Post by veremin »

Your plan sounds valid. Don't forget to create two different media pools as well to guarantee different retention schemes.

As to your question, yes, two jobs will be executed on the same day and two sets of tapes will be written.

Thanks.