Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
fonefoo
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Adam

Suggested method for converting an exported disk

Post by fonefoo »

Ref Case # 02042626

I've been migrating VMs from VirtualBox to KVM with the assistance of Linux Agent.
I backup the VirtualBox guest, export disk using Veeam B & R, convert the disk from vhd to raw, then import into KVM.

This has worked fine with a bunch of VMs, though recently I encountered one where after mounting the VM into KVM, veeam agent wouldn't work anymore. no volumes are detected when trying to a volume level backup. when trying a full system backup it gives me "Failed to perform backup - No objects to backup", obviously because it can't see the volumes.

Long story short, the break apparently happens when I convert to .vhd to .raw (I mounted the .vhd in hyper-v and it works fine).

So the question is, for someone like me attempting to convert these disks, what would be the best way? I am currently using qemu-img convert
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Suggested method for converting an exported disk

Post by nielsengelen »

What happens if u convert to vmdk and then convert that one to a qcow2 format for usage in KVM? Did you by any chance try this already to see if the outcome is the same?

Do you see a difference between the listing in VHD & RAW with lsblk -a ?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
fonefoo
Influencer

Post by fonefoo » 1 person likes this post

I had not tried to convert vmdk to qcow2.

I just did an export to vmdk, converted using:

Code: Select all

qemu-img convert VM.vmdk -O qcow2 VM.qcow2
And that qcow2 image worked just fine with veeam linux agent. I had used the same process only with an export vhd and ran into the problems originally mentioned.

As far as the lsblk -a
I'm not seeing anything unusual. The exported and converted vm that won't run veeam linux, shows the appropriate disks and partitions. All services run, you can write to the directories.

Anyway at this point I'm not to worried about it since I have 2 solutions.
a) the vmdk to qcow2 convert worked fine.
and prior to your response I had
b) built a new vm in KVM, mounted the recovery disk, and restored the entire backup to an empty drive. I'm guessing this is the ideal method to start, and ended up being easier than what I was doing anyway.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I'm guessing this is the ideal method to start, and ended up being easier than what I was doing anyway.
Yes, I guess that's a preferrable method at least until we investigate what happens to disk during .vhd --> raw conversion. Did you use qemu-img for .vhd to raw as well? I'm also curious what will happen if you create a new VM in KVM with raw disks and try to backup the VM?

Thanks
fonefoo
Influencer

Post by fonefoo »

Yeah I've used qemu-img convert for all my conversions.
I know creating a new VM with a raw disk, and running veam linux agent will work. I have a couple VMs that are being backed up with raw disks.

The VM that I had problems with though was original built in VirtualBox, and a .vdi format. But as mentioned, veeam backed it up fine and exported a usable .vhd that, that veeam backup worked on too. I only ran into trouble after converting that .vhd

Anyway if your team becomes more interested in this, I wouldn't mind uploading the problematic .vhd image to an FTP. There is nothing sensitive on it, its just isc-dhcp server. The exported image is however 60GB. I have a 1Gig uplink so uploading it isn't an inconvenience to me "if" anyone is interested.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Anyway if your team becomes more interested in this, I wouldn't mind uploading the problematic .vhd image to an FTP
That would be great, thanks!
bernard
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bernard Li

[MERGED] have anyone tried P2V migration with VAL?

Post by bernard »

Hi team

Have anyone tried P2V migration with VAL, is there any issue? @R&D @QA i know there will be additinal configurations, do you have any test record or guide?
- From physical to VMware vSphere/Miscrosoft Hyper-V
- From VMware vSphere to Miscrosoft Hyper-V
- From Miscrosoft Hyper-V to VMware vSphere
- From other virtualiztion(KVM) to VMware vSphere/Miscrosoft Hyper-V

thanks
Bernard
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
form the user guide, Page 179:
You can restore computer disks from volume-level backups and convert them to disks of the VMDK, VHD or VHDX format.
During disks restore, Veeam Agent for Linux creates standard virtual disks that can be used by VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
• When you restore a disk in the VMDK format, Veeam Agent for Linux creates a pair of files that make up the VM virtual disk: a descriptor file and file with the virtual disk content.
• When you restore a disk in the VHD/VHDX format, Veeam Agent for Linux creates a file of the VHD or VHDX format.
You can save converted disks locally on any server added to the backup infrastructure or place disks on a datastore connected to an ESX(i) host (for VMDK disk format only). VMDK disks can be restored as thin provision and thick disks:
• Disks restored to a datastore are saved in the thin provisioned format.
• Disks restored to a server are saved in the thick format.
VHD/VHDX disks are always restored as dynamically expanding.
Veeam Agent for Linux supports batch disk restore. For example, if you choose to restore 2 computer disks, Veeam Agent for Linux will convert them to 2 virtual disks and store these disks in the specified location. <...>
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please take a look at the discussion above. In order to avoid issues that may arise during conversion the best method would be to use Recovery Media to restore backups to VM.

Thanks
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

VMware to Hyper-V or other way around should work fine however physical to virtual may cause an issue related to drivers.

I've done tests from KVM VM's to VMware and they ran fine as well. In the end it is mostly related to what the source machine is as a role. If it requires specific hardware it will fail for sure.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen