Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
fkckbrown
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle Brown

Feature Request: Enpoint backup to Any Repository

Post by fkckbrown »

We are using Endpoint backup on a couple physical servers and work stations. The software and great and works well. I am disappointed to find out that it is limited to which storage repositories you can back up to though. We use the Scale-Out repository for our backups, but the software can't see these. We are also experimenting, and might be added, a HP StoreOnce device. When I have the type set up a HP StoreOnce, the Endpoint backup does not see that one either.

I would like to see support for all the different kinds of backup repositories that Veeam can have be accessible by the Endpoint. It seems like the Veeam side is done as I can set the permissions for the Endpoint access on the different Repositories, but the Endpoint software needs to be updated to use the Repositories.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Enpoint backup to Any Repository

Post by Dima P. »

Kyle,

Scale out backup repository support is coming in the next release. We do have plans to support HP StoreOnce as well but can’t provide any ETA at the moment.
wgjett3
Novice
Full Name: Glenn Jett

Post by wgjett3 »

Dima,

With respect to the usage of an HP StoreOnce appliance as a target for Veeam Endpoint Backups, do you know if backups to it won't work or are you recommending that we don't use a StoreOnce applicance because it will cause issues? The StoreOnce limitation guide for Veeam 9.5 (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95) says: "You cannot use HPE StoreOnce backup repositories as targets for Veeam Endpoint backup jobs. Backup copy jobs, however, can be targeted at HPE StoreOnce backup repositories." I've been using a StoreOnce VSA as a target for ~3 months before I found this document so I'm curious what the issue may be.

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Glenn,

To clarify, your VEB is backing to the regular repository and then via Backup Copy job you store backup files to HPE StoreOnce repo, right?
wgjett3
Novice
Full Name: Glenn Jett

Post by wgjett3 »

Dima,
No. We are not using backup copy jobs at all. We've got VEB jobs backing up to a backup repository managed by Veeam. This backup repository is configured as a CIFS share and resides on a StoreOnce VSA appliance. We've also used the Veeam Endpoint Backup for Windows to backup to a Veeam managed backup repository using Catalyst on a StoreOnce VSA. I was surprised to read the "limitation" because, to the best of my knowledge, we've had success with using it.

Thanks,
Glenn
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks Glenn!

Checked with QA folks – we do not expect any issues with CIFS approach.

The limitation applies to the HPE StoreOnce storage added to the VBR as repository. You cannot backup directly to such repository from VEB/VAW BETA but we are working hard to support this functionality too.
mathieubouffard
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mathieu Bouffard

Post by mathieubouffard »

Hello Dimitri,

I also have a customer looking to backup directly from VAW BETA (they are testing it) to HPE storeonce.
From what I understand here, using Catalyst to do this won't be supported. But if they are using CIFS it will be supported?

Can you confirm this?
Regards, Mathieu.
rjaworski
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Richard Jaworski

Post by rjaworski »

Thank you Gentlemen for these valuable comments!!!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

But if they are using CIFS it will be supported?
Yes.