Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Replication to DR Question

Post by marieelieg »

Hello everyone,

I have a replication to DR question. Hope you can help me.

Whenever I do replication or failover, the vm in the DR must be off and the VM in production can be on.
When I do failback to production both VMs are off and the syncing processes are taking time to finish (each sync phase 20 min for around 30GB vm so you can imagine if it's a 200-300 GB vm).
Is this behavior normal? Can't we keep the DR vm running or the production vm running or both running in failback situation?
And if we use wan acceleration how much time will I be able to save approximately for both failover and failback?

Thanks you guys in advance. Really appreciate it. :D :D
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Replication to DR Question

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't fully understand what is happening. You have done a failover to the replica VM and that one is running. At a certain point in time you want to failback to the original VM. But you notice that both VMs are off and it takes too long that you are offline. Is that correct?

Can you verify if the procedure explained here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 is being performed? If you read # 6 you see that there is only a small time where both the replica VM and production VM are off to sync the last minute changes. That should not be that long
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Post by marieelieg »

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your reply.

Yes exactly what you said. At the syncing step (there are 2 syncing phases in failback) both VMs are powered off, and it's taking some time to finish. This leaves me offline a while. If I use WAN acceleration during the replication, will it be used also during failover/failback? Will it be faster?

Thank you in advance. :D
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

If you are offline too long, then I assume something is wrong. WAN acceleration will help you indeed but if I read your first post correctly, you are talking about GB of data that needs to be transferred while they are offline.

Can you log a support call to check if the behavior is normal. It might be the case, but difficult to say without having logs and so on. Our engineers will certainly be able to help you better