Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dmwynne
Influencer
Liked: never

Tape schedule daily incrementals, weekly full

Post by dmwynne »

I setup a daily to disk job in forward incremental with synthetic fulls on Saturday. Because of requirements to send tapes offsite daily I need the following setup for tape jobs.

Full backups weekly, monthly, yearly - fulls done on Saturdays. I have a GFS media pool setup for a tape to run full on saturday.

Need incrementals all other days and tapes are in pools for each day so operators know that Mondays tapes in are slots 1 and 2. I have a daily media pool setup for each day ie Monday_Tape, Tuesday_Tape etc.

When setting up the daily tape jobs am I correct that the Full backups tab should be ignored because I am only doing incrementals? I have checked off the archive incrementals. I have the schedule to run after the daily to disk runs. Is this correct?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Tape schedule daily incrementals, weekly full

Post by Shestakov »

Hello and welcome to the community!
Tape job copies all new restore points, in your case those are increments during the week and Full backup on Saturday.
What is your ultimate goal for the tape backup set?
Thanks!
dmwynne
Influencer

Post by dmwynne »

The ultimate goal is to have offsites to tape daily with retention of 4 weeks then the typical GFS setup for tape archives.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks
Note that in current configuration you will have a full backup written on tape each week.
dmwynne
Influencer

Post by dmwynne »

So with the full to disk and tape every week am I correct that in the tape job settings, full backup, schedule, where you specify the virtual full backup schedule this is ignored because the full to disk and full to tape do have periodic full backups meaning this would only be used with forever full incremental jobs.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Correct.
To leverage virtual full on tapes, the primary job configuration must not have scheduled synthetic or active full backups. If it does, the virtual full will be disabled even if configured in the tape job.
Thanks!