Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
v33@m3r
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Veeam McVeeamerson

Copy job synchronization cycle - particular day?

Post by v33@m3r »

Hi There,

I have a copy job that copies to removable media, and it usually kicks off on a Friday at 10am. I originally got it to do this by enabling/creating this copy job on a Thursday, so that the following day, the job would kick off at the interval time (10am)
Every now and then, a new backup copy cycle might be kicked off for troubleshooting reasons, or to get a more up to date backup set on the removable media, and the whole backup rotation is messed up and the required backup sets are not on the removable media at the usual time on the Friday.
How do i set the job back to the way it was without having to wait until the next Thursday to log in, and start a new copy cycle manually in the hope that the next day (Friday), the data will be on the removable media for the backup administrator to remove offsite?

Thanks in advance for your input
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Copy job synchronization cycle - particular day?

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
you may start the job synchronization manually clicking "Sync now". Another option is to decrease the synchronization interval in the job`s settings so it will check for new restore points more often.
By the way, if you want the copy job not to work in certain days, you may set a corresponding backup window. Thanks!
v33@m3r
Influencer

Post by v33@m3r »

Hi Shestakov / Veeam Community,

Sorry to get back on this one so late, but it is causing some concern still:

In response to your last comment Shestakov,
I did decrease the synchronization interval, so that it checks every 1 days. I did also set the backup window, so that it only allows the job to run during the early hours of friday morning (so that the backup administrator can come in on Friday morning and remove the cartridge from the drive, put in a new cartridge and take the other offsite for the weekend)
This was better than what i had (sync interval to be 7 days), and the job was getting the data on the tape at the correct time without fail (and it was still fine if someone kicked off a new cycle mid week). However, an email was sent every 24 hours about a failed job, causing utter confusion with a few parties. (Sometimes 'failed job' alerts are seen as backup failures that involve investigations every time)

In Brief, what is the best way that people achieve this? (A weekly copy job, that always runs at the same time every week, once a week, without any emails being sent inbetween?)

More information:
1 day interval:
An error message is sent out about a failed job every day, but if you check the job log, nothing is backed up (0 bytes etc) - so in theory, this email can be ignored, but people can't ignore it. (The email sent in the early hours of Friday morning is successful, with the correct amount of bytes backed up, which is good.

Recap:
7 day interval:
If i set the job to run every 7 days, then i have to log in manually, the day before friday, and select 'start new copy cycle'. If some other engineer logs in and starts a new copy cycle during the week (for whatever reason), then thursday nights ' backup will not be on the cartridge when the onsite backup administrator arrives onsite to start her morning routine (which includes swapping out the cartridge)

Thanks again, and sorry for the zombie thread :)

v33@m3r
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi and welcome back!
If some other engineer logs in and starts a new copy cycle during the week (for whatever reason), then thursday nights ' backup will not be on the cartridge when the onsite backup administrator arrives onsite to start her morning routine (which includes swapping out the cartridge)
Well, I would say the best way is to keep admins who may mess up you ideas away from your backup jobs :) You can play with users and roles to achieve it.
You don`t need to start the job manually if it`s set to run on the exact day. If you want to make sure the synchronization is started at exact time, you may use a powershell script and execute it at the desired certain time.
Thanks!
v33@m3r
Influencer

Post by v33@m3r »

Hi All / Shestakov,

I am still a bit unclear on something related to this - how do i stop the emails being sent out every day?

Here is a recap on where i am at:

History / Background
-If you use a copy job, the main way you could get a job to run exclusively every Friday is to set a 7 day copy interval, and log in on a Thursday and kick off a copy cycle. However, if a full job is ever ran on another day of the week, or a new copy cycle kicked off on a day that is not a Thursday, this is screwed up, and the job no longer runs in the early hours of Friday morning (The onsite backup Admins will remove the cartridge on Friday morning)

Current Status
I went with Shestakov's second option that was proposed on 14th of September. "Another option is to decrease the synchronization interval in the job`s settings so it will check for new restore points more often. By the way, if you want the copy job not to work in certain days, you may set a corresponding backup window.
..So i have my copy job interval to be every day, and in the 'schedule' tab, i have the 'During the following time periods only' option enabled, and the job is only allowed run on Friday morning at 3am.
..So this works, and the job runs every Friday, which is good. However, now i get emails every day from Veeam at 3am. Sometimes i get failed messages 'Error5:00:48 AM 5:00:09 AM (+1)0.0 B0.0 B0.0 B (1x)0:00:00 - Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval'.
Sometimes i get successful messages with no data backed up, and no message, but i think sometimes it says 'all tasks have already been processed' or something like this.

This is confusing the different people onsite that swap out the cartridges, and also confusing the people that monitor the environment, to the point where actual failed backups are sometimes missed due to the false positive emails.
Is there anything that can be done? As this is a design thing, i didn't log it with support, but maybe should i do so?

Thanks again for your help
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, please open a case with support, unless you've already done this. Basically, the job shouldn't fail in this scenario.