Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Grebzy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Grbec

Veeam Jobs "Backup Copy" scheduling

Post by Grebzy »

Hi,

I am requesting whether a feature can be added so the scheduling of "Backup Copy" jobs has the same options as the "Backup" jobs.

My "Backup Copy" job is set to "copy every 1 day starting at 2:00am." Then under the Schedule section I have selected "during the following time periods only - Tuesday to Saturday 2:00am - 6:69am." That seems to work fine but we are getting a "Backup Copy" job that attempts to start Sunday at 2:00am then fails 47:59 hours later as it cannot run outside of Tuesday to Saturday 2:00am - 6:69am." So we are getting failed backup reports once a week.

A work around has been to disable the "Backup Copy" job and run a scheduled task Tuesday to Saturday at 2:00am starting the "Backup Copy" job:

Get-VBRJob -Name "USB Backup Copy" | Sync-VBRBackupCopyJob

It would be good to be able to schedule this withing Veeam.

Grebzy
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam Jobs "Backup Copy" scheduling

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Grebzy and welcome to the community!
The request makes sense, as a workaround I would suggest to suppress the email notifications when the job is running outside the backup window.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Adam, does the source backup job start and successfully create a restore point on the day that the backup copy is not allowed to transfer data? In this case the behavior is expected, this is how data transfer window is intended to work (the job fails in case it was not able to copy the restore point within the interval, regardless of the fact it was not allowed to copy data during some period of time).
Grebzy
Novice

Post by Grebzy »

Shestakov - Can I suppress the email notifications when the job is running outside the backup window within the Veeam GUI?

Foggy - No. We do not require a backup job to run on this day. That's why we also do not want the backup copy job to run.
Grebzy
Novice

Post by Grebzy »

FYI

The workaround provided by Veeam Tech 1 as below doesn't work as the command cannot be run when the "Backup Copy" job is disabled.

Get-VBRJob -Name "USB Backup Copy" | Sync-VBRBackupCopyJob

Veeam Tech 2 suggested I run the following commands as a scheduled task. With the scheduled task run with the highest privileges and as a domain admin I cannot get it to work. The scheduled task runs with no error.

To run every Tuesday at 2:05am
Get-VBRJob -Name "USB Backup Copy" | Enable-VBRJob

To run Every Sunday at 1:00am
Get-VBRJob -Name "USB Backup Copy" | Disable-VBRJob

If I run the script in PS ISE I get the following error which I believe may occur when the scheduled task runs.

Get-VBRJob : Failed to connect to Veeam Backup & Replication server:
Access denied.

Error doesn't occur when running PS ISE as admin and the commands do there job.

The answer is to ignore the failed email alert (unless it can actually be suppressed within the Veeam GUI) until the scheduling of "Backup Copy" jobs is updated to work as the "Copy" job schedule.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Grebzy wrote:Shestakov - Can I suppress the email notifications when the job is running outside the backup window within the Veeam GUI?
There is no such an option in UI of VBR, however if you use Veeam ONE, you can disable job notifications in VBR and use Veeam ONE notifications which can be configured as you wish.
Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What is the source backup job schedule and what specific error message does the backup copy job report?