Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TheWanKing
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Backup Copy GFS Schedule

Post by TheWanKing »

Hi,

We've just recently started to do a Backup Copy job to archive our VMs to a dedupe device. This is working really well so far, we've managed to retain 3 weeks worth of backups (64.46TB worth of data reduced to 10.18TB).

The Backup jobs run incrementally each night with a Full Active backup on the Friday night at 11:00pm, BUT, we are finding that the backup copy job is making the Thursday night backup the weekly (full) backup.

The Backup Copy job Is configured to keep 4 weekly, 12 monthlies and 1 yearly. The Schedule is set to "Weekly Backup", Friday, 11:30pm

Is there a easy explanation as to why its using the Thursday nights backup as the Weekly, or is this something we need to log with Veeam support?

We are running the latest version 9.5.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Backup Copy GFS Schedule

Post by veremin »

You're using daily sync interval? At what time does it start? Is "read the entire restore point" option enabled? How many points does a backup copy job keep (simple daily retention)?
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

When is your copy interval set to.

I ran into this issue in December with "copy full" enabled and discovered that there was an issue with the logic and I don't know if the fix was put into 9.5u1 or not.

What I found to workaround the issue is here:

veeam-backup-replication-f2/gfs-copy-fu ... ml#p220429
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
TheWanKing
Novice

Post by TheWanKing »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The option "Read the entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments" is ticked, we experienced the exact same issues a while ago with it unticked.

I'm going to change the schedule on one of the jobs to "Saturday" and see how that goes. The full jobs do technically run into Saturday so that might be my problem.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

How about the copy interval setting for this backup copy job? You didn't answer all of the questions above.
TheWanKing
Novice

Post by TheWanKing »

Hi Foggy,

You mean the Schedule? Its set to "Any Time (Continuously). But if you mean the "Schedule" tab where "Target" is the weekly backup copy is set to Friday @ 11;00pm (the normal backup runs at 6:00pm but the full runs into Saturday morning).

Ive set the Weekly Backup Copy schedule to Saturday afternoon, will see how it goes this weekend.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

There seems to be a certain misunderstanding, so, can you please post screenshots of first step of backup copy job wizard (called "Job") and of third one (called "Target") as well? Thanks.
TheWanKing
Novice

Post by TheWanKing »

Hi,

Ok, its working now after changing the schedule for WEEKLY under target > schedule to Saturday.

I can post pictures if you want but I have no-idea how to insert an attachment on these forums.
Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Just upload the pictures to a dropbox / google drive / onedrive / whatever. Reply to this message but use the full editor. You will see there is a button Img and you can place the URL in between them

Mike

PS: Glad to see it is working now :-)