Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
SWICT
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim Fountain

EndPoint on B&R server

Post by SWICT »

I would like to use Endpoint to backup our B&R server. Is this supported ?
We are running V8 with patch 2

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: EndPoint on B&R server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can do that. Out of curiosity, why not to use our built-in backup capabilities in Veeam B&R to protect the configuration of your jobs and other components?
SWICT
Influencer
Full Name: Tim Fountain

Post by SWICT »

Vitaly,

We do use that function, but we would like a full backup of the physical server OS etc and currently we use Backup Exec 2014 for this but it is unreliable.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Got it, in this case feel free to protect your Veeam B&R server with Veeam Endpoint backup.
uni-wh
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Christoph Peus

[MERGED] Protect Veeam v8 Server with Endpoint Backup?

Post by uni-wh »

Hello,

is it possible to protect a Windows Server 2012 with Veeam Availability Suite v8 installed with Veeam Endpoint Backup?

I know that it's possible to let the Veeam Server save its configuration automatically to a another backup location, so that it can be rebuilt in case of a breakdown, but I think it would be more comfortable to backup the server with all windows updates and additional tweaks completely, which of course cannot be done with the Veaam server itself.
Would it lead to some kind of conflict when I install the availabiliy suite and endpoint backup on the same machine? Will endpoint backup save the MS SQL-Server correctly?
Thanks!

Regards
Christoph
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Protect Veeam v8 Server with Endpoint Backup?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Christoph,

Such scenario is supported, so you are good to go!
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

VEB backing up VBR Physical server?

Post by Wad4iPod »

Greetings,
I would like to use Endpoint Free to backup our BUR physical server. I would like to send the data to a BUR repository; NAS device.
Can this be done? Advice for and/or against it?
Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager

Re: VEB backing up VBR Physical server?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

Yes, you can do that VEB supports installation on VBR server - such approach is supported.
scott.edwards
Influencer
Full Name: Scott Edwards

[MERGED]: Anyone using this to backup Veeam physical server?

Post by scott.edwards »

I was unable to locate any information on this. My current Veeam servers are both physical. I was wandering if anyone is using Endpoint Backup to protect their physical Veeam servers. If so have their been any issues and is the product capable of ignoring specific disks (i.e. backup respository since that will be the destination)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Scott,

Just to clarify, you want to backup your physical VBR server with VEB (btw that’s supported) and use as a destination internal dive (volume) on the same machine?
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: [MERGED]: Anyone using this to backup Veeam physical ser

Post by JaxIsland7575 » 1 person likes this post

scott.edwards wrote:I was unable to locate any information on this. My current Veeam servers are both physical. I was wandering if anyone is using Endpoint Backup to protect their physical Veeam servers. If so have their been any issues and is the product capable of ignoring specific disks (i.e. backup respository since that will be the destination)
I have physical Veeam serves that have local storage for some repositories. I use Endpoint Backup, set it to Volume Level backup, only choose the C:\ drive and set the destination as a VBR repository which is located on the D: drive of the Veeam server. I believe that is the same configuration you have, and yes it does support this, in fact, it just works!

Cheers!
VMCE v9
scott.edwards
Influencer
Full Name: Scott Edwards

Post by scott.edwards »

Thanks JaxIsland7575, this is what I was looking for!
uris.chan
Novice
Full Name: Uris Chan

[MERGED] Veeam Backup Endpoint for Veeam Repository

Post by uris.chan »

Hi,

I am planning to setting up a physical server (Windows 2012 R2 Storage Server Workgroup) as a Veeam B&R server, with a local repository, as well as a USB 3 docking station as a mirror repository. I will run a Veeam Backup Proxy as a VM in my VMware environment. I will be installing some other management software (e.g. SAN management with database, other backend management stuff).

I will like to be able to backup the Veeam database, as well as some other management database for my SAN management using Veeam Backup for Endpoint and integrate it into VB&R repositories (the USB dock mirror), excluding the local repository data of course.

Will that be possible?

Regards,
Uris
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Uris,

I moved your post to the correct thread. Yes, your scenario is supported – feel free to test it and, please, let us know how it goes.
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

Post by Wad4iPod »

Wad4iPod wrote:Greetings,
I would like to use Endpoint Free to backup our BUR physical server. I would like to send the data to a BUR repository; NAS device.
Can this be done? Advice for and/or against it?
Thank you

Amending the original question.

I have a different site with one ESXi (5.0) host. There are 5 Windows 2008r2 VM Guests running on it.

One of those VM's is the Veeam BUR v8 patch3 host. This same BUR guest VM also serves WSUS and Vipre Ent. We have been using Veeam BUR to back itself up to our NAS repository. Since the Veeam BUR is backing itself (VM) up - it does so via the network mode transport. I believe that hotadd is still not available/recommended for this scenario - even in Veeam 8 patch 3?
This Network Mode Transport results in the (Reverse Incremental) backup taking 6>9 hours to complete. It is about 500GB in size. The other 4 VM's are backed up using hotadd transport mode. They take typically take about an hour.

About every 6 months or so - The VEEAM BUR VM backup also seems to be giving us grief on a/the associated host NIC. The NIC drops off the ESXI host during the VEEAM BUR VM backup. This makes the VM's associated with the NIC unavailable on the LAN. The affected nic doesn't show the lan IP range as a result. We remove it from the vswitch, and the guests grab the next physical nic and the guests are available on the lan are good.

We do have multiple physical nics on the esxi host vswitch. At some point - need to reboot the host to see if the nic(s) return after the reboot to verify hardware failure or software cause(d).
All the Veeam BUR backups are reverse Incrementals. We also have backup copy jobs which copy the backups to a secondary location using a physical Windows (7x64 Pro workstation) proxy there to serve a NAS repository.

I am wondering if I can use Veeam Endpoint to replace the process of using VBUR backup of the VEEAM guest VM? Also - then to still use the VEEAM BUR Guest VM to run the backup copy job to send the Veeam Endpoint jobs to teh secondary location - like we do now.

Thank you for all your help.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Wad4iPod,
I can use Veeam Endpoint to replace the process of using VBUR backup of the VEEAM guest VM
You can but keep in mind that VEB is designed for physical computers in a first place.
Also - then to still use the VEEAM BUR Guest VM to run the backup copy job to send the Veeam Endpoint jobs to teh secondary location - like we do now.
VEB backups can be used as a source for Backup Copy jobs (and Tape jobs) in VBR starting from v8 Update2 and above.
DiabInc
Novice
Full Name: Mats Bengtsson

[MERGED]: B&R 9 and Endpoint backup on same server.

Post by DiabInc »

I have a quick question. Did not find the answer anywhere.

We are using a physical Server 2012 R2 for Backup and Replication version 9.
It it OK to install Endpoint Backup on the same server for the purpose of backing up the servers OS disk and some other critical partitions. Endpoint backups would be to external storage (not B&R repository).
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Yes Mats, that is supported. Your thread is merged and if you look above there is more information but it is definitely good to go.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
Torakas
Lurker
Full Name: Michael Kuhn

[MERGED] Veeam Endpoint Backup and Veeam Backup on same mach

Post by Torakas »

Hi,

I have a physical server with Windows 2008 R2 Standard with Hyper-V service.

The server is only for file shares and one guest system (Windows 2008 R2 Standard) as backup DC.

The guest system I will backup manually with Veeam Backup Free one time in month.

Now I must update the host system with new drivers, bios, firmware... and I must/will make a full backup of the host machine.

Can I use Veeam Endpoint Backup for this backup and can I run both Veeam software on same physical machine (Veeam Endpoint Backup + Veeam Backup) at same time.

Big thanks for help and the information....

Kind regards,
Michael
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's absolutely supported.
ROSA
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

[MERGED] Using VAW for Veeam B&R server backup?

Post by ROSA »

We have a Veeam B&R physical server and I got the idea to backup this server with VAW.
But I'm not sure it is a good idea - any thoughts, comments?
For instance - when I activate host aware processing, will it interfere with the internal B&R configuration backup?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It is fully supported to use VAW/VEB to protect a physical Veeam B&R server.
ROSA
Enthusiast

Post by ROSA »

That's great news.
I assume I have to enable application-aware processing and set to "Perform copy only (lets another application use logs)", is it correct?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There is no need to set copy only for the logs, since Veeam B&R database is set to simple mode by default, which does not require logs handling. Built-in configuration backup engine exports data to a file, so it will not interfere with your Veeam Agent for Windows backup job.
ROSA
Enthusiast

Post by ROSA »

Thank you Vitaliy.
ChrisJ0907
Influencer
Full Name: Chris James

Post by ChrisJ0907 »

I guess the answer is yes, but I would like to install EndPoint Backup Free edition on my Veeam B&R server to backup my 2 Hyper-V hosts, which are in a cluster. Is this possible and supported?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can back up these nodes, but cluster metadata will not per preserved. You will be able to restore Hyper-V hosts and then build a failover cluster.
vikassi
Novice
Full Name: Jackson Johnson

[MERGED] B&R + Veeam Agent for Windows - Same Server

Post by vikassi »

Hello,

I have a scenario where I had to install B&R on the Hyper-V host, and required to perform daily backups of the same host. My question is, can I install B&R and Veeam agent for windows (2.0 or below) on that same Hyper-V host, for backup purposes?

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

It is supported, please review the thread to see other users' feedback on that matter.

Thanks
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Post by Didi7 »

In the meantime Veeam Agent for Windows v2.0 was released. Would a freeware version of VAW be enough to fully protect a physical VBR 9.5 server or would it make more sense to use a licensed VAW version in this case or maybe use an older VEB version and please why?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!