Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ChrisJ0907
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris James

Replication to tape

Post by ChrisJ0907 »

Hi All,

I'm currently running Veeam 9.0 and wanting to replicate my backups to tape. At present I want to backup to a NAS and save maybe 1 or 2 weeks worth depending on usage, and replicate to tape.

At present with Backup Exec, I do a Weekly full stored for 4 week, incremental daily stored for 4 weeks, and then Full monthly stored for 7 years on tape - all stored on the NAS for 1 week.

I can't find a way to do full backup replication to tape with to include daily, weekly and monthly. I can use GFS for full backup to tape or set my own Incremental and then weekly.

How would you implement your own replicate to tape schedule? If I use the GFS method, is that a full weekly to tape including the incrementals, and should I uncheck the box for periodic full backup?

Should I create Active Full Backups on my main job or just leave it incremental? I take it that will leave the full job, and then just use incrementals forever? Save a lot of space?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Replication to tape

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello and welcome to community Chris,
I can't find a way to do full backup replication to tape with to include daily, weekly and monthly. I can use GFS for full backup to tape or set my own Incremental and then weekly.
We have a GFS media pool designed specifically for GFS retention. It always archives full backups to tape (or creates a synthesized full backup from an incremental restore point on disk prior placing it to tape). The said media pool has four media sets to keep weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly backups with separate retention.
How would you implement your own replicate to tape schedule? If I use the GFS method, is that a full weekly to tape including the incrementals, and should I uncheck the box for periodic full backup?
You can create your own backup schedule with Simple Media pool and simple backup to tape jobs. This type of media pool/tape jobs also supports incremental backup to tape.
Should I create Active Full Backups on my main job or just leave it incremental? I take it that will leave the full job, and then just use incrementals forever? Save a lot of space?
It’s up to you. Keep in mind that with forever incremental backup to tape job will create a synthesized full backup to tape (from an incremental restore point).
ChrisJ0907
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris James

Re: Replication to tape

Post by ChrisJ0907 »

Thank You for the reply Dima.

I think I may use both a simple media pool and a GFS media pool. Perform daily and weekly backup with the simple, and Monthly with the GFS.

I'd be happy with the GFS, but I don't think my Manager would be happy with the incrementals not being written to tape too.

If I perform an active full on the primary job, for instance weekly on a Saturday, should I do the full to tape the following day? Although I prefer the idea of an active full monthly, as I can keep more incremental restore point on disk that way. If I do an active full weekly, I can't go back to a file edited 3 weeks ago if the full backup is less than a week old, and the file was edited between these times. Yes I could get the tape, but the convenience of the NAS is much better.