Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

Backup copy job vs Restore points

Post by kubimike »

Currently I have my exchange jobs set to 42 restore points, I take 6 a day (every 4 hours). To keep the backup chains from getting too long I am doing a synthetic full backup everyday and a Active full every quarter first saturday of the month. My old policy on DPM was keep 90 days on disk then move the oldest backup to tape.
Excluding the tape logic, for now (not hooked up) if I wanted to keep 90 days at the same backup intervals would it be best to set the restore points to 540 or create a backup copy job to accomplish this. I could create another folder on the repository just for the backup copies.
johan.h
Veeam Software
Liked: 182 times
Full Name: Johan Huttenga

Re: Backup copy job vs Restore points

Post by johan.h »

Hmm. I'd set up a Backup Copy Job to keep everything besides your first week and use GFS retention to do that - set the first option to two restore points, and then keep however many quarterlies you'd like: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95. The older increments are unlikely to help you anyways and will create a huge amount of space overhead.

Send the Backup Copy to a different repository if you'd like, but if really necessary it is possible to send it to the same one as your source backup job.
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

thanks for the pointer. When you say set the first option to 'two restore points' are you referring to 'restore points to keep' ? Or 'Weekly Backups' ? Im trying to understand how that will weed out the first week.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Mike,
I believe Johan meant the "restore points to keep" option, as 2 is the smallest number of increments you can keep with backup copy.
Personally I would start from the decision on tapes: will you use them or not?
If you will I would suggest just to keep working with backup jobs, if you will not, I would go for backup copy job.
Thanks!
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

Hi, for the time being I need a new tape job so thats why I thinking of using a backup copy. Plus I have a server at a different site Im thinking about adding as another storage point. Do you have any insight as to how it would know to weed out my 7 day backup from job ?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Well, in this case backup copy job makes sense. If you want to copy all restore points to DR site, you may set synchronization interval = 4 hours and number of restore points equal to the source backup job.
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

Well the source backup job is 42 which is only a week. I want to save 504 restore points which is 3 months. So would I set the sync to 4 hours and restore points equal to 504 ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Beware that restore from 504-long chain can take significant amount of time. I would suggest adding weekly GFS retention.
Thanks!