Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
mvidalinc
Influencer
Liked: never

how to restore using SSH ?

Post by mvidalinc »

Hello,

I'm testing the Veeam Linux Agent.

I just read this : " To restore the entire computer or an individual volume, you will need to boot from Veeam Recovery Media first.".

So, when using SSH to access my server, how to boot from Veeam Recovery Media ? I have Dell IDRAC for this server, so I think I can use that, but does it exist another method ?

Also, I have another server that does not have IDRAC. How to do without IDRAC ?

Thank you.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: how to restore using SSH ?

Post by nielsengelen »

You will need to upload the iso in the idrac system and then set it as primary boot device. Afterwards you can connect to the share with yout backup files on.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
mvidalinc
Influencer

Post by mvidalinc »

Thank you for the confirmation of what I thought.

Another question please : does it exist a way of restoring files without restarting the server with the Recovery Media ? Because if it's just for few files, it prevents the server and the services from operate.

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
How to do without IDRAC
You can use command line interface to restore volumes (expect root volume). Example:

Code: Select all

veeamconfig backup restore --id 8ce7932b-b805-4da4-8001-8991c623a766 --backupDev /dev/sda1 --targetdev /dev/sdb5
To list available backups use this:

veeamconfig backup list
does it exist a way of restoring files without restarting the server with the Recovery Media ? Because if it's just for few files, it prevents the server and the services from operate.
Sure. You can press R on the main screen and perform File level recovery without reboot. Check this article.

Thank you.
mvidalinc
Influencer

Post by mvidalinc »

PTide wrote:You can use command line interface to restore volumes (expect root volume). Example:

veeamconfig backup restore --id 8ce7932b-b805-4da4-8001-8991c623a766 --backupDev /dev/sda1 --targetdev /dev/sdb5
Cool. Do you think I can restore/overwrite the main volume (where is installed Debian) ? I think it's not advised, but who knows...
To list available backups use this:

veeamconfig backup list
Nice.
Sure. You can press R on the main screen and perform File level recovery without reboot. Check this article.
I just tested that. Works nicely !

May I asks two more questions please :

- Is it (or will it be) possible to backup on FTP ? Because I don't know if the cloud storage sellers online provide SMB or NFS protocols... For example, is it possible to use Amazon S3 or other known storage solutions with Veeam ?
Does Veeam have a storage/cloud solution for customers ?

- In FREE mode, is there a risk for the system or files to be corrupted ? Or there is just a possibility to have an inconsistency between somes files and records in database ?

Thank you very much.
mvidalinc
Influencer

Post by mvidalinc »

Also, it would be nice if you display the completion percentage of the backup in the main window of Veeam, since it exists in Job.log. It's handy for testing.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Cool. Do you think I can restore/overwrite the main volume (where is installed Debian) ? I think it's not advised, but who knows...
No, you can't do that, not out of the box at least. The main question is why would you need that in the first place, what's the use case?
- Is it (or will it be) possible to backup on FTP ?
No, currently it's not possible. Noted as a feature request though.
For example, is it possible to use Amazon S3 or other known storage solutions with Veeam ? Does Veeam have a storage/cloud solution for customers ?
Not in the current release. For now you can point Veeam Agent for Linux backup job to VBR repository and use Backup Copy Job in order to drag the backups to a Cloud Connect repository.
- In FREE mode, is there a risk for the system or files to be corrupted ? Or there is just a possibility to have an inconsistency between somes files and records in database ?
With FREE version you might get inconsistency only at a transaction level in case you run DB on the server. With server version you can use custom pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts, please check this thread for details.
It's handy for testing.
Not sure that I understand it - what kind of testing?

Thanks
mvidalinc
Influencer

Post by mvidalinc »

No, you can't do that, not out of the box at least. The main question is why would you need that in the first place, what's the use case?
-> Yes you are right.
- Is it (or will it be) possible to backup on FTP ?
No, currently it's not possible. Noted as a feature request though.

-> Ok, thank you.
For example, is it possible to use Amazon S3 or other known storage solutions with Veeam ? Does Veeam have a storage/cloud solution for customers ?
Not in the current release. For now you can point Veeam Agent for Linux backup job to VBR repository and use Backup Copy Job in order to drag the backups to a Cloud Connect repository.

-> Ok I will check that. Thank you.
With FREE version you might get inconsistency only at a transaction level in case you run DB on the server. With server version you can use custom pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts, please check this thread for details.

-> Ok, thank you.
It's handy for testing.
Not sure that I understand it - what kind of testing?

-> It's handy to see the percentage of completion because I'm testing several types of destination locations (local drive, USB attached drive, network location). So I start the backup job, and then do other things and from time to time I'd like to check the progression of the backup job and when it will be finished.

Thank you.