Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lukejf
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Luke

CheckDisk

Post by lukejf »

Hey Guys
As everyone knows vmware had massive issues with CBT which cause one of our fileserver backups to get corrupt some time ago. I started stuffing around with how to run a checkdisk remotely using surebackup but didn't get too far. Just wondering if anyone managed to get a surebackup script working that runs a check disk on all connected drives and reports back error code 0 if it works correctly.

thanks all
Luke

Edit
I did post in this forum some time ago but had no response. powershell-f26/surereplica-custom-scrip ... ml#p151677
lukejf
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Luke

Re: CheckDisk

Post by lukejf »

Gathering no one does this?? If not how do you test your file server backups to ensure you have no folder corruption? We have seen surebackups run sucessfully on a file sever vm that had corrupt folders. What are you guys using to detect this??
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: CheckDisk

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Luke,

I haven't done this yet but with a PowerShell script you should be able to get somewhere. I would test with using the Repair-Volume cmdlet

For example:
$s = Repair-Volume C -scan (This will scan and report only for drive C)
$s.value__ will then give you an output integer.

Some of the codes I know:

0 is NoErrorsFound
1 is ErrorsFixed
2 = MinorErrorsFixedOrCleanup
3 = Failed
4 = ScanNoErrorsFound
5 = ScanErrorsFoundAndFixedOnline
6 = ScanErrorsFixedOnlineAlsoNeedSpotFix

(and thee are more but can't find that information now. The importance is, when you don't get a 0 then there is something to investigate)

So I would start with testing this on your server and see what the output is, then put it in a PS script and use it in surebackup

Hope it helps