Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lacand
Lurker
Liked: never

DELETE OLD FULL RESTORE POINTS

Post by lacand »

Hello,

I created by mistake an active full backup that took many disk space.
I've already a synthetic full backup planned on my backup job.

Now, I'm running out disk space free on my backup repository and I've got 2 full restore points.
Is Anybody know how I can delete properly the old full restore points ?

Thanks for your reply

Sincerely
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: DELETE OLD FULL RESTORE POINTS

Post by foggy »

You can delete the older one manually and then cleanup the UI with the help of missing restore points removal functionality.
lacand
Lurker

Post by lacand »

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Yours sincerely
pischel
Lurker
Full Name: Marcel Pischel

Post by pischel »

I go to Home Backup Disk selct den Backop an right Click an Proferties. But i click right key but ist not show delete from disk
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hey Marcel,

I've done this dance before.

You need to physically delete the file from disk (from the OS of the Repo), rescan the Repository, and then the point will show with a red X in Veeam and you can remove it.
Jeff M
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jeffrey Michael James
Location: Texas Tech Univ. TOSM Computer Center, 8th Street & Boston Avenue, Lubbock, TX 79409-3051

Post by Jeff M »

Is there a good way to do this on a SOBR repo with 4 or 5 extents? Doing this manually (removing weekly full and daily incremental backups) is quite tedious. We use NAS type storage so access to the Windows shared folder structure is very easy. However SOBR file structure is very extensive when you have 30 vms within a job and 20 jobs on a B&R Server and a SOBR with 4 extents using (Per-vm backup files) under a Data Locality placement policy. This becomes quite difficult. I initially set these jobs up for weekly full backups on the regular 30 restore point cycle. This filled our storage way to quickly. Some backup chains have 54 rps and 5 full backups. So I'm needing to remove all files prior to 30 days back.
Jeff M
Data Center Operations
Technology Operations & Systems Management
Texas Tech University System
jeff.james@ttu.edu
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I initially set these jobs up for weekly full backups on the regular 30 restore point cycle. Some backup chains have 54 rps and 5 full backups.
With weekly full backup and 30 restore point retention period, the current number of restore points is unexpected. Kindly, reach our support team and let them find our the root cause of the issue as well as remove the unnecessary restore points for you. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can also remove the older part of the chain using the 'Delete from disk' option.
joebranca
Enthusiast
Full Name: Joe Brancaleone

Post by joebranca »

As an updated question to this topic, is there a way to delete restore points for VMs in a chain only older than the immutable backups period? For example we have a backup job running to a Linux repo with weekly synthetic fulls and daily incrementals, and the repo is set to immutable restore points for the most recent 14. There are 4 VMs for which we are being requested to purge out the older restore points. The only option appears to be "Delete from Disk" on the whole chain,which fails because of the recent set of immutable 14 restore points.

And looking at it more closely... is immutability on the repo set for the past 14 calendar days no matter how many restore points are in that time period, or 14 restore points?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Joe,

There is no way to delete a part of the chain, you should wait for the immutability period expiration to delete the whole chain. The immutability period is set for the number of days specified in the repository settings regardless of the actual number of restore points.

Thanks!