Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
g.dekeijzer
Lurker
Liked: never

Stop merge process Cloud Connect Backup (Backup Copy)

Post by g.dekeijzer »

Hello,

We are using cloud connect backup to transfer vms to another SP.
The backup generally takes about 10 hours. Afterwards or meanwhile a copy job runs and copies the data to a cloud repository (continuesly).
After the backupjob finishes, some time afterwards, al new restore points are visible inside Veeam B&R, in the Cloud section.
At this point we would like to disconnect the cloud repository and let the new SP connect it to restore vms.
However, a merge process wants to merge the oldest files to a new one, probably taking another 12 hours.
In short:
- Can I stop the merge process so the new SP can safely restore the latest point of the vms?
- Can I perhaps increase the number of copies, currently 2, to let's say 6 to keep the merge proces on-hold for a few days in the copy job

Regards,
Gerwin
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Stop merge process Cloud Connect Backup (Backup Copy)

Post by veremin »

Can I stop the merge process so the new SP can safely restore the latest point of the vms?
No, you cannot stop it. However, you should be able to restore from the latest restore point regardless of whether merge process is running.
Can I perhaps increase the number of copies, currently 2, to let's say 6 to keep the merge proces on-hold for a few days in the copy job
As soon as retention is reached, merge will be happening on everyday basis (assuming daily copy job is meant here). So, number of restore points does not matter here. Having said that, I still think that you'd better increase retention - two seems to be rather short value.