Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TheBackupGuy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary S

Help with Windows Server 2016, Veeam 9.5 and Deduplication

Post by TheBackupGuy »

Hi folks,

So basically running Veeam B&R version 9.5 on Windows Server 2016 with MS Patch that is supposed to fix deduplication corruption issue.

Have 3 jobs with 10 restore points to do forward incremental and synthetic full on every Saturday.

The backup target is volume that is created on a LUN on Synlogoy NAS but mapped to backup server via iSCSI.

The problem seems to be that synthetic full backup on Saturday don't seem to complete in first try but only after retries. Not entirely sure why this is happening.

Also I do get sometimes low on memory message withing Windows though I have already allocated 8GB memory on server that is running only 3 jobs.

8GB memory allocation does look like more than what is required as per below link.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... kup_server

Any idea what is happening and why? Is dedupe from MS taking too much resources in back ground to cause these issues?

Also would be good if someone can comment on backup strategy. Are 10 restore points enough? Not very keen on reverse incremental as it takes longer to complete backup job and also causes high IO.

thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Help with Windows Server 2016, Veeam 9.5 and Deduplicati

Post by Mike Resseler »

Gary,

What patch are we talking about? There was indeed a patch released a couple of weeks ago but MSFT had to retract it because it caused another issue

Let us know
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Also depends on the error you're seeing when synthetic full fails.
TheBackupGuy wrote:Also would be good if someone can comment on backup strategy. Are 10 restore points enough? Not very keen on reverse incremental as it takes longer to complete backup job and also causes high IO.
Actually, it takes longer right because of higher I/O. The number of restore points depends solely on your RPO requirements (how far back you need to be able to restore in case of any issues).
TheBackupGuy
Novice

Post by TheBackupGuy »

What patch are we talking about?
Hi Mike, Below is the patch that I had installed last month. I believe it addresses dedupe corruption issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/hel ... -kb3216755

I am also planning to install update 1 for 9.5 now. Looks like I need to give more memory for this server as it's acting as full backup server including proxy..

thanks,
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Gary,

Correct, it should fix the dedupe corruption issues but created another issue that you probably will experience.

Have a read here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fil ... kb3216755/

There are already 3 updates to this post so it is rather important that you look through it and follow the advice. In fact, this specific KB is the reason why the patch window of last week was postponed by MSFT (at least we believe it is this one since we made a lot of noise around it :-))

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Gary,

It seems like the KB that should fix the System.data.dll and should have been released a week ago is nowhere to be found. I can't find KB3217574 anywhere at this moment.
TheBackupGuy
Novice

Post by TheBackupGuy »

Thanks for the reply. I have updated it to 9.5 update 1. Also given it 16GB memory as it also has repository and proxy roles. Also got test job for synthetic full. Let me see how it goes. Hopefully this resolves the issues around synthetic backup failing.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Keep us informed. And hopefully the patch from MSFT will be released soon

Thanks
Mike