Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Supraman
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vinh

Feature Requests.

Post by Supraman »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has ever request for the following features, if they have I apologized for repeating the requests.

- Remove/Deleted completed job history.

- The ability to backup the Vm and keep its default naming convention in the Backup Disk and Tape sub-categories rather than the name of the actually job. What I am looking for is if we create a temp job for a particular Vm we would rather it be backup and label up the Disk as the actually name rather than actual name of the backup job. Otherwise we would have in my case at the moment 2-3 job of the same Vm but now it is being display under 3 disk sub-category which makes it a bit harder to managed. I have not tried manually changing the name of the folder or the backup to disk properties as I am afraid of causing issue for future jobs.

- The ability to manage tape library slots such in a way to dictated the corresponding media that it would write to. For instance writing only daily tapes to the left library slots only and full to the right only. That way for tape processing it would allow us to easily determine which media set needs to be sent out. I have seen this request in the forum, but have not heard of any update with regards to it.

- Allow us to dictated a back to disk job to directly go tape right after the job had completed corresponding to the media set, instead of creating a schedule day/time schedule. Rather than setting it to Run Automatically and selecting "After this job %". This is an issue for us as we primary perform daily fulls and weekend full backups. I understand there is a GFS feature that we could perform and perhaps specifying that as our weekend full, but allowing this feature would allow us to managed our media set and job in a simpler way.
marco.horstmann
Veeam Software
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Marco Horstmann

Re: Feature Requests.

Post by marco.horstmann »

Hi Supraman,

I try to answer the points I maybe can help.
Supraman wrote: - Remove/Deleted completed job history.
You can set the retention in general options -> history to e.g. 1 week. This maybe could help you.
Supraman wrote: - The ability to backup the Vm and keep its default naming convention in the Backup Disk and Tape sub-categories rather than the name of the actually job. What I am looking for is if we create a temp job for a particular Vm we would rather it be backup and label up the Disk as the actually name rather than actual name of the backup job. Otherwise we would have in my case at the moment 2-3 job of the same Vm but now it is being display under 3 disk sub-category which makes it a bit harder to managed. I have not tried manually changing the name of the folder or the backup to disk properties as I am afraid of causing issue for future jobs.
Many customers use this to see backups of the same VM in different jobs. Veeam One (included in Backup Essentials and Veeam Availability Suite) offers a report which shows VMs backuped by multiple jobs.
Supraman wrote: - The ability to manage tape library slots such in a way to dictated the corresponding media that it would write to. For instance writing only daily tapes to the left library slots only and full to the right only. That way for tape processing it would allow us to easily determine which media set needs to be sent out. I have seen this request in the forum, but have not heard of any update with regards to it.
In your case I would suggest two media pools daily and weekly.
You can adapt the powershell skript from this thread to automatically assign new free media, which will be automatically put into "Free" mediapool,
to this two media pools. Otherwise you need to manually assign new tapes into the media pools.

Regards
Marco
Marco Horstmann
Senior System Engineer @ Veeam Software

@marcohorstmann
https://horstmann.in
VMware VCP
NetApp NCIE-SAN for 7-Mode and Clustered Ontap
Supraman
Enthusiast

Post by Supraman »

Hello Marco,

1. Doing so would clear out the history for that week. What I am looking for is more granular, for example if I re-run a fail job and it completes successfully I would like to have the ability to just erase the fail job history rather than keeping it for a week to remove it along with the successful job log, if that makes sense.

2. What I am looking for is more of a simpler view rather than having to use Veeam One in the B&R. What I mean is like group all the backup job to disk and tape under the VM's name because currently the job is base on the job name would make it easier to manage a certain VM's backup jobs rather than seeing a combination of a whole bunch of jobs all in one place.

3.I am not very familiar with powershell nor have I used it in combination with Veeam. Now in regards to having two media pools I have created that one for Daily and one for weekly/Full and as of this moment I am managing them manually. However, do you guys foresee adding a gui interface for managing tapes along with the tape library slots?
marco.horstmann
Veeam Software
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Marco Horstmann

Post by marco.horstmann »

Hi Supraman,

I'm only a system engineer and I'm not able to say what R&D and product management are planning.
Both are reading in this forums. So it will be possible that a additional Veeam person will answer to this thread.

Regards
Marco
Marco Horstmann
Senior System Engineer @ Veeam Software

@marcohorstmann
https://horstmann.in
VMware VCP
NetApp NCIE-SAN for 7-Mode and Clustered Ontap
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Regarding p.1, we do not allow deleting/cleaning up session history, as this would prevent audit of the restore activities.
Supraman
Enthusiast

Post by Supraman »

Hello Foggy,

Correct me if I am wrong, but with a fail job it does not create any backup file that can be used to restore with.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

A backup file contain many VMs included. If one specific VM failes to be backed up, this doesn't necessarily mean that you couldn't restore from other "successful" VMs. Thanks.
Supraman
Enthusiast

Post by Supraman »

Hello Vladimir,

That would only be true if the end user who is using your product actually create a job that would backup several VM at a time? Because in my case we create individual backup job for each VM that we have as we want to be able to view which job completed successfully. I am not sure why one would want to backup several VMs in a job unless you can give me an example of why that might be a better idea vs creating individual backup job. What I mean is wouldn't the job stop running if it encounter an issue with backing up a particular VM in that job?