RESTful knowledge exchange
denit
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Denit Support

Basic requirements for API usage for Veeam reporting.

Post by denit »

Dear reader(s),

I want to excuse myself up front for anything i have neglected to check or verify, for i am a complete noob on API and I want to check a few things but I am not sure where to look.
Now I did put time in looking for an explanation on how to design a workable solution for us.
I will continue to look for a website/link that can shed some light on this.
We want to do backup reporting for all our Veeam jobs across our 2 Veeambackupservers for a total of around 100 jobs.

We have 2 Veeam 9.5 backup servers (both have Enterprise manager plus).
We are trying to create backup reports through API usage.

However, we get some unexpected results when we try querying the server.
I was looking for a website/ manual that might explain the basic requirements for a successful API attempt.

To give a summary of the issues we run into… (we have only been active on one server so far, because of the things we run into)

I have created a Active Directory useraccount “domain\Veeam_api” that has administrator rights on one Veeam backup server.
The software that runs on this machine : Veeam backup console and Enterprise manager plus.
When we run a script to look for backup jobs, we only get a result of 5 jobs instead of the total of 40 jobs on that particular server.
This makes me believe there is some access issue, but what kind of access issue is a mystery so far.
I was thinking an Active Directory domain user would be a fitting way to implement API usage.

There is also a way to create a user inside the enterprise manager, but I do not know exactly if that is needed for the thing we want.
As I said, I will continue to look for more info, but I was hoping if someone here could direct us to a certain site/link that may help us.
Right now reporting on backupjobs is a very labor intensive thing because I have to go through every single job manually.
We were hoping to use API to automate this.
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Re: Basic requirements for API usage for Veeam reporting.

Post by tdewin »

Enterprise manager has it owns "credentials definitions" so you can create a new user and assign it sufficient rights:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

When you login to the enterprise manager with the same user, not the REST API but via web interface for humans, do you see the same amount of jobs as the REST API or as the Backup Server?
denit
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Denit Support

Post by denit »

Hi tdewin,

I have been away from the forum for a while.
I will take a look at your suggestion, thanks already for making a suggestion.

Now i am not the one doing the API programming, i will however take a look at the credentials in the Enterprise manager using your URL.

I will come back with my results.
Thanks.
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to post them here on the forum.