Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itcaptain
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: it captain

Linux OS backup fails

Post by itcaptain »

Hi

I am getting this error when doing incremental back up of debian linux OS. I never received any error for the full backup. During the full backup i used the domain admin account for all the VMs but during the incremental backup i received login error for this OS, so i changed it to local root account for this OS and now i am getting this error.

Starting guest agent
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Indexing guest file system
Veeam Guest Agent is not started

Freezing guest operating system
Veeam Guest Agent is not started

Any help is greatly appreciated.

itcaptain
Alexey D.

Re: Linux OS backup fails

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello,

Please use Virtual Infrastructure Client to navigate to VM's settings. Then check that OS for it is not set to "Windows" (which is the default setting when you create a VM). The point is that B&R asks VMware tools for OS, and if the type is "Windows", guest agent is used for VSS/indexing. As a solution, please turn off VSS and indexing for your VM, in job settings.

Also, please send us the logs - we'd like to examine the exact behaviour in such kind of situations. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Linux OS backup fails

Post by Gostev »

To avoid this issue in the whole, make sure you do not use Microsoft Windows guest processing functionality on VMs with non-Windows operating systems. As explained in the description of the corresponding backup job wizard step, this functionality is designed for Windows guests only, so it should not be used with any other operating systems. Thanks!