Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
brainerdmobil
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike

GFS Retention Policy

Post by brainerdmobil »

I'm in the process of installing a new backup repository and at the same time I'm rethinking my backup strategy.

I'd like to retain backups as follows;
Daily - 30 incremental
Weekly - 8 full
Monthly - 12 full
Yearly - 7 full

I want these backups to live on my primary backup repository. I also have a backup copy job to rotatable USB hard drives that will only store the most recent incremental/full backups. All the USB drive needs to be able to do is a full restore to the latest backup, in the event of a catastrophic failure (i.e. fire). There's no need to have any more restore points on these rotated external drives than this.

This leads me to GFS. It looks like GFS can only be setup for a backup copy job. How to I get around this to have my primary backup job use the above retention policy? Do I need to configure multiple backup jobs and schedule each accordingly to accomplish this or is there a way to set this up in a single job?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: GFS Retention Policy

Post by foggy »

You can either have multiple backup jobs or point backup copy job to another repository pointing to the same physical storage (just adjacent folder).
brainerdmobil
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike

Post by brainerdmobil »

Thanks for the fast reply. Can I have more than one backup copy job? One to the rotatable USB drives and another to the adjacent folder on the main backup repository?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sure.