Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hahe
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Harald Heggelund

Failback to original VM with reverted snap's

Post by hahe »

Hello,
Just had an incident in the file system on a win VM (aka crypto). In the panic, someone (not me, honest! ) opened the VMware snapshot manager, found a snapshot and reverted to it. Alas, that snap was very old. Hence we did a failover (using veeam 9.5) to a more recent replika and all is well.

But now what? Is it safe to do an immediate "failback" to the original VM, even after that one is messed up by reverting to that old snapshot? I understand the failback process applies the delta from my now-running replika back to the original VM, and switches over to that one. Nice, but I'm fearing this delta will be invalid on the original VM now, due to the not-so-smart snap revertion performed in the mean time.

Alernatively, if I instead do a "permanent failover", what happens to the VM name and its files/folders - will they automagically be renamed to reflect the fact that my now-running replika is the original (that is, remove "__replika" from the name) or will I be stuck with a xxxx_replika folder containing the future production VM?

Anyone?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Re: Failback to original VM with reverted snap's

Post by Gostev »

Hello! Failback will read the original VM disk state and sync it with the actual replica VM disk state, so it does not matter what bad things were done to the original VM. Thanks!