Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
NickViz1
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Nikolai Vorontsov

Veeam Endpoint Backup memory consumption

Post by NickViz1 » 1 person likes this post

Hi all,

I've noticed that on my machine the sqlservr.exe process takes 350MB of committed memory. It looks that VEB uses MS SQL to schedule backups and thus keeps SQL server up and running all the time. It's a bit expensive to keep that kind of application in memory even if no backup is performed at the moment.

Is there possibility to keep scheduling in Veeam.EndPoint.Service.exe and run SQL only when necessary? What else can I do to reduce memory consumption during my work hours?

Note that even if I have 16GB RAM some times I need to watch list of processes and temporary close some to get more free RAM. Veeam's sqlservr.exe is usually on top.

Thanks in advance,
Nikolai
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup memory consumption

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Nikolai,

What is the average vs highest memory consumption for SQL server? Do you have any other applications that may use local SQL? Thanks.
NickViz1
Enthusiast

Post by NickViz1 »

Hello Dima,

I don't know the highest memory consumption and to be honest I don't mind if it's high during the backup (actual work). What I don't like is that all the time the sqlserver process is hanging in the memory and consuming noticeable amount of it. On one my machine it's 300-400MB, on my notebook it's 150-200MB. Permanently.
And no, no other applications uses that sql server - it's only used by VEB. If I kill that service - the VEB control panel indicates an error (service is not available or so).

I don't think that it's a bug in any of my installation - it looks like a VEB "feature", but still I doubt if backup scheduling process should take so much memory. Why not to launch SQL only when you need to perform backup - it's above of my knowledge.

I'm also not sure if there is a way to limit sql server in memory - do not have sql management studio for the moment...
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Nikolai,

Thanks. Do you have any antivirus software installed? We heard several reports that SQL memory consumption may jump higher than expected if SQL is not listed as AV exclusion. For instance, I use current VAW 2.0 BETA on Windows 10 - SQL is running below 30 MB in idle state.
NickViz1
Enthusiast

Post by NickViz1 »

Hello Dima,

on my work machine we have IT-stuff managed Sophos AV, on my notebook - only default Windows Defender. Today I saw 400MB commit size on my PC :-(

I wonder if it can be related to whole amount of installed RAM and/or amount files in backup job. Nothing extraordinaire, but still.

I'll wait for VAW 2.0 release to see if something changed.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Nikolai,

Is it possible for you to test memory consumption with the VAW 2.0 BETA build? Thanks.
NickViz1
Enthusiast

Post by NickViz1 »

Well seems to be better. I've tested on my notebook - looks like SQL is not visible at all during idle time. I would wait for VAW release, to avoid reinstallation and check on other machine(s).
NickViz1
Enthusiast

Post by NickViz1 » 1 person likes this post

I was too optimistic :-( I configured my backup job to be run manually (or when backup drive attached, doesn't matter) and that's why sql server was not running after OS start up. However after the backup job finished - the sql server stays in memory consuming the same amount of RAM. Not sure if it's smart decision from Veeam.
Chocka
Novice
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Can I pause sqlserv.exe?

Post by Chocka » 1 person likes this post

I know Veeam is using sqlserv.exe, but if Veeam isn't making a backup, is there a way to pause or even stop sqlserv.exe, because it use about 350~400mb of RAM daily for once a day backup?