Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
thwa
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Thomas W

Feature Request: Tape file restore - to many tapes requested

Post by thwa » 1 person likes this post

Initial situation:
Windows 2012 R2
Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5.0.823
Tandberg NEOs Storage Loader 1U LTO5
File to Tape
Case # 01679340 (January 2016)
Current Case # 02065747

Hello,
we write with a "File to Tape Backup"-Job directories and files to our tape every night.
We use always "Fullbackup" and every night we generate new "Media Sets".

For disaster recovery we like to do "File Restore from Tape".

We select the last "Media Set" (Backup Set) to restore the last state/condition of data from tape to disk.
Now Veeam shows all the tapes (34 tapes) we ever used for backup this directory: "The following tapes will be needed in the restore process".

This is not manageable!

The "Required space" Veeam shows is much greater (1,5 TB) than the space we need for the full backup (280 GB).

With Case # 01679340 (January 2016) we got from Veeam Support a workaround for Veeam B&R Version 8/9.
It was a small changing in a stored procedure in the SQL-Server.
With Update Version 9.5 this workaround do not longer works, because the related stored procedure do not exists in Version 9.5.

Actual: Case # 02065747
Please, make a new feature/switch in future version to restore only files and directories from one "Media Set/Backup Set" like workaround from Case 02065747

Thank you
Thomas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Tape file restore - to many tapes reque

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for you feedback! Can you please clarify, how your media set creation is configured? It’s possible to schedule the periodic full backup for file to tape job and close the existing media sets. If you do it previously used media should not be requested during recovery. Sorry for asking but your cases are in German, so I was not able to find the answer.
thwa
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Thomas W

Re: Feature Request: Tape file restore - to many tapes reque

Post by thwa »

Hello Dmitry,
I hop, I understand your questions correctly.
I try to answer:
We create a new media-set everynight at 01:00 and write only a full backup (File to Tape Job)
on it.
You write "... and close the existing media-set" - how can I do that?
Thanks