Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
kestral
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Cumming

Cannot restore a linux VM

Post by kestral »

I'm currently evaluating veeam and have the trial software installed. I have the veeam server installed on a windows machine and I'm backing up a 32 bit Centos 6 linux vmware vm as below

# uname -a
Linux PER-SECURITY.kestral.local 2.6.32-642.13.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Wed Jan 11 20:21:04 UTC 2017 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

The veeam backup tools were installed from veeam-release-el6-1.0-1.i386.rpm which was downloaded 2 days ago anf the linux system has had all prerequisites installed, all updates applied, and completed its install without errors.

I'm running "veeam" from the command prompt and selecting "Entire machine" for the backup mode, "Veeam Backup & Replication" for the destination, Supplying correct credentials, Selecting a repository that is on the local windows machine of the veeam server, and running the "Start job now" option.

The backup completes without any errors.

I have created a new VM on vmware with the same size disk as the original and have booted it off the veeam recovery media (32 bit version) ISO.

I select the only backup I have (the one I just created with no errors), On the "CURRENT SYSTEM" panel, I select "sda" and press Enter, I select "Restore whole disk from..." and select "sda (boot) 30.00G". The partition table is populated correctly and matches the original in the right hand panel. I press "S" to start the restore, then Enter to "Start Recovery"

The restore completes up to "Restoring bootloader on /dev/sda" ok, then the rest fails. The 1st failure reads "[error] write: An existing connection w..." and I cant find any further details in log files to indicate what was truncated, but I'm guessing it was "was disconnected". The next error is "[error] Failed to upload disk" followed by a number of errors beyond that which look to be related to the initial error.

Is there something I'm doing wrong in this procedure to succeed in a clean restore or is this not currently possible ?

Thanks,
Andrew
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Cannot restore a linux VM

Post by Mike Resseler »

Andrew,

Could you go back to the original machine and try a simple file restore to see if the backup you have is usable?

Thanks
Mike
kestral
Novice

Post by kestral »

Mike,

I went to the machine and ran the veeam tool and selected the restore option. It mounted the backup to /mnt/backup

Everything in there loogs good. Files all seem to be there and seem to be clean.

Andrew
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Can you confirm (probably you did but just checking) that you followed the procedure described here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=10 and selected all the volumes that you wanted to restore?
kestral
Novice

Post by kestral »

Yes, I can confirm thats what I did. I tried it with sda to restore the entire drive, and I did other attempts using single volumes all with the same result.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Probably we are overseeing something because I believe it should be possible what you are trying to do.

Can you log a support call? Post the case ID and the follow-up here. That probably will help other people also

Thanks
Mike
kestral
Novice

Post by kestral »

Will do. Thanks for your help.