Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Ultra_Cool
Expert
Liked: 3 times

Veeam Agent for Windows restore

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Hi,
If I understand right we can take backup on physical servers with veeam agent for windows. How can we restore server if everything crashes, I mean if physical server crashes we will not have that program installed. Does this mean that we will need to install software on different server and point to the backup files or we will need to restore windows with installation media and point to the backup location? (Im sorry if this is a stupid question)

Another question is if we have 10 servers, does that mean that we will need to install this software 10 times on those 10 machines to perform backup on all of them?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows restore

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

You can build a Veeam Recovery Media (and create it as ISO / on a USB or DVD or something). The USB / DVD will become bootable and you will be able to boot from that media (it will even have specific drivers from that server on it) and do the bare metal recovery from there.

For your second question: Yes, that is correct, however the paid versions will have an API so you can create a config once and then distribute it to all of your servers through SCCM / GPO / or whatever your software distribution tool of choice is. Or, soon we will have a new solution called VAC (Veeam Availability Console) which will be a management solution also to distribute and configure VAW on different servers

Cheers
Mike
Ultra_Cool
Expert

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Hi Mike,

Thank you. Hmm if I build recovery media I will be able to use that recovery point from that day. If machine crashes 10 day after recovery point will be too old. What if we take backup 2-3 times a day?

Veeam Availability Console -- can we use it even if we do not use Veeam Cloud Connect? If I am not wrong that product is only for cloud connect providers? Can we manage veeam B&R server with it as well?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

No. The recovery media does not include a recovery point. It is a separate bootable windows environment (Very small one, specifically adapted by us. It is called Windows RE). So you don't need to recreate this all the time. Only recreate it when major changes happen to that server (upgrade of the OS / new hardware with different drivers)

For VAC: Yes, it will depend on a certain # of agents (don't ask me the details as I leave that to licensing). Then you can install VAC on-premises and you can manage your own B&R server also. You do not need Cloud Connect licenses but technically it uses CC components

Hope I explained it better this time (need more coffee ;-))
Ultra_Cool
Expert

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Thank you Mike, your are the KING.