Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Replication & Remote Sites

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

This is a bit confusing so I will do my best, I suspect there will be follow up questions! :D

In vSphere the virtual machines are grouped together by vlan's. So each group of VM's share the same networking subnet. There is approximately 50 subnets. There is a disaster site with its own vCenter and storage. Currently the only way to fail over is to SRM an entire subnet, bring all the VM's up at the DR site, disable networking on production side, then enable the subnet for networking at the DR site. This is a huge pain, especially if you need to fail over just a single VM. So my question revolves around first: replication. If we use VBR to replicate to the DR site, does this networking limitation still hold us back? Would we be able to run a single production server off the DR site? How does Veeam handle the IP scheme using replication?

Now if there is a better way then replication or another process to achieve this? My end goal is to be able to fail over single VM's to DR, do point in time SQL backups, have replication running, and also regular backups. This networking piece is a huge roadblock currently but changing it is not possible now. Is there a way I can make availability happen?

Thanks for answers and ideas in advance!
VMCE v9
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Replication & Remote Sites

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Veeam Replicas in default mode, don't care about the network.
In most of the cases you span your layer 2 network to the DR site.

There is an option for Win VMs to allow Veeam to change network settings (Routed networks).
There is as well an option to change VM network (network mapping).

Failover Plans an Veeam availability orchestrator (VAO) have additional options.