Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rui.rodrigues
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rui Rodrigues

Manage Windows Agent With Veeam Backup & Replication Console

Post by rui.rodrigues »

Hi,
I need to test a solution to Backup 700 Laptops.
I installed Veeam Backup & Replication console (9.5 version), and installed the Windows Backup (last version available), in one laptop.
In the veeam site indicates that after onde backup from the machine is possible to control the Backup inside the console, but I only can see the Backup beeing made for the repository configured inside Veeam console.
https://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-endpoi ... ation.html

After the first Backup I cannot see any tab named Endpoint.
Cannot change how or when the Backup is made after the installation of Windows Agent in the machine inside the Console.
Cannot change if the Backup is Full, Incremental, or the number of restore points of that windows laptop machine.
Cannot understand the difference between the Free Version of the agent and the paid version.

I was hoping to get something like Mirage with some limitations...
Can anybody help me indicating if this is the wright product for my problem.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Manage Windows Agent With Veeam Backup & Replication Con

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Rui,

So, if I am not mistaken you installed VAW beta on a laptop. You configured that agent and pointed it to a VBR 9.5 (with update 1) repository. Correct?
What will happen is that you will see the backups visible in VBR (go to Backup & Replication tab - Backups - Disk) and they should be visible under Agents. From there you can do restores, use Backup Copy Jobs to move the data to a secondary location, tape, cloud connect.... You can also disable backup jobs from there and some more items.

But, for now, VBR console cannot be used to configure or deploy VAW. In the paid versions (workstation / server) you can use an API to configure / deploy through your favorite deployment mechanism (GPO / SCCM / ...) or use the Veeam Availability Console (VAC - coming soon) to have such a framework that allows discovery, management, configuration etc... Considering the 700 laptops, VAC would be the way to go for you. Some extra information can already be found here: https://www.veeam.com/managed-backup-portal.html (under COMING SOON)

If you have more questions, please let us know
Thanks
Mike
rui.rodrigues
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rui Rodrigues

Post by rui.rodrigues »

So, if I am not mistaken you installed VAW beta on a laptop. You configured that agent and pointed it to a VBR 9.5 (with update 1) repository. Correct?
Correct.
Veeam Availability Console (VAC - coming soon)
When is "soon"?

With Veeam Avalability Console, I have to pay Azure subscription, for ever.
I would like to have something on-premises. With this software you are only giving one option to the customer. Azure or nothing...
My customer is a school and the students use laptops. I need to implement a solution manly because an applicantion of the Windows Store, a solution to Backup and to restore data downloaded from the store.
Every time my customer needs to restore that info he have to download it from web (10Gb to 20GB), rather than restoring a previously performed backup locally.
This way he only have to download the application data from the store once.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

For Veeam Availability Console you won't need to pay for an Azure subscription. I understand the confusion though, our first version of this solution (which was without any VAW management) was Azure only. VAC will be deployable on-premises.

Soon would be H1 2017.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, Mike is correct. VAC does not require any Azure subscription. If you want to know more about this console, here is a recorded VeeamLive session > Centralized Management for Veeam Agents with Veeam Availability Console
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Rui,

Does your client use any central deployment tools? VAW 2.0 has silent install and ability to import job config from xml. Imagine you deploy 700 agents, import desired configuration (pointing all these agents to the VBR repo) and monitor agents via VBR console. Will that work for your case?
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, Mike is correct. VAC does not require any Azure subscription. If you want to know more about this console, here is a recorded VeeamLive session > Centralized Management for Veeam Agents with Veeam Availability Console
We are a Cloud Services provider, with some customers that still have physical servers on their own premises. We are going to use Veeam Cloud Connect with a B&R server at their sites to provide backup to our storage. As these customers also have physical servers, we were hoping to be able to use the Veeam B&R console to manage their agents. I understand from the previous posts that the B&R console will not be able to manage the agents. However, I thought that each customer would be able to use their own installed version of VAC to manage those agents. Based on this presentation, however, it doesn't look like I can give access to the VAC to my customers to manage their own agents, as VAC needs to be tied to the Cloud Connect server. Did I misunderstand?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi David,

I think you understood (almost) correctly after the presentation. You can deploy VAC on your site as a service provider. Your customers (tenants) will be able to log in to your VAC installation (as a tenant of course, with a limited view with only their information). And you will be able to deploy, discover and so on and so forth. The idea with VAC is obviously that you will manage those agents for your customers also (and even sending those backups of those physical servers to your CC for additional protection)

Since you are a service provider, I suggest you ask access to @dellock6 to become part of that group on these forums so you can learn more over there also.

If you have additional questions, shoot
Mike
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

Mike Resseler wrote:The idea with VAC is obviously that you will manage those agents for your customers also (and even sending those backups of those physical servers to your CC for additional protection)
Since this is going to be part of Backup-as-a-Service, we'd like them to have the ability to deploy agents and schedule backups. Will they have that type of access?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

David,

Are you saying that the customer should have the ability to deploy agents and schedule backups? Yes, they will have access.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

Perfect. That is EXACTLY what I was asking. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you as a service provider can grant end users to manage VAW installations themselves. Additionally, you will be able to control this process too (for example, when you need to do some troubleshooting steps).
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

Any word on when VAC will be available? Are they still aiming for H1 2017?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

David, the target release is Q3. The QA team is in the final stage of the scalability feature testing.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

Vitaliy S. wrote:David, the target release is Q3. The QA team is in the final stage of the scalability feature testing.
This is getting a little frustrating, without even a beta version to test with.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi David,

Are you a service provider (registered VCSP)? If so, please apply for the service provider forum. There is an entire forum on VAC and you will find there what you are looking for, including the RC version to test out.

To apply for the VCSP forum, go into the User Control Panel of this forum, select User Groups in the tabs, select "Veeam Cloud Service Provider” and finally the “Join selected” option. As soon as your email address is verified to be part of the Service Provider domain, your application will be approved.

Thanks
Mike
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

Thank Mike, but I did that a couple of months ago and nothing happened, although I assume I was rejected, as I was able to apply again a few days ago.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Unfortunately I cannot check if you are a VCSP or not, but I can ask if you want.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi David, were you rejected on the forums (can check the reason why) or rejected to be a member of the VCSP program?
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

We're a member of the VCSP program. However, I have to assume that my request to join the board was rejected, as I have received no response, I am not a member of the board, and my request no longer shows as 'pending'.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What's your full company name? I don't see any match between your email address (domain name) and all registered VCSPs. Maybe that was the reason for the rejection.