Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

SQL Restore Scenario

Post by kubimike »

Hi there. Want to just throw this out there before I actually try it out so I understand how the process works.

Servers:
Veeam server is 9.5 + SP1 has SQL 2012 Express (Limited to 10GB db)
Protected VM has SQL server 2008 (Full edition) + Windows 2008 R2

Scenarios:
1. If I do a point in time recovery using the full edition of SQL on the remote VM, will the Veeam software need to copy the DB files temporarily location IE 'C:\VeeamFLR' on the remote server its restoring to? Or will it just copy the files to the destination drive of my choosing and mount the database ?

2. When doing a SQL restore using 'Restore to current restore point' I assume it will just copy the database files to the destination drive of my choosing on the protected machine and not need to use the full edition of SQL to accomplish this. After the file copy is done it will mount the DB.

3. What method is used for copying this data? I read somewhere that it was an iSCSI connection to the Protected machine
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: SQL Restore Scenario

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Mike,

1. The explorer will grab the database files from the SQL Server's backup and mount it to SQL server. This can be the target server or a staging server. (depends on your restore scenario)
2. Correct. Only the database files
3. That is correct. To create a mount point we use the iSCSI protocol. This is not persistent. It will go away after the restore process

Hope it helps
Mike
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

@mike thanks. So if the target and staging server is the same where exactly is it staging the files at?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

In most cases you will see that the SQL server that comes with VBR will be used because you will most likely use the Veeam Explorer from that server and the mount operation is done there
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

Well my DB is larger then 10 GBs so not sure how that will work ?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

In that case you need to configure a staging server as your local SQL server with VBR is Express.

Details can be found here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

@mike thanks for helping but that doesn't really tell me anything honestly. I guess I'll just have to try it and see what happens
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As VB&R by default goes with SQL Express, it cannot restore dbs exceeding 10 GB. So, a full blown SQL server is needed here. If you have any, specify it as a staging server.