Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kkuszek
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

Suggestion: Ditch all the waste whitespace in the UI!

Post by kkuszek »

Hello,
I use my veeam server as a vmware console window to control Veeam. This is only a 1024x768 window on my desktop by default.
The center bar specifically is the worst. It tells me about the job duration/rate/bottleneck/etc - but why is it double spaced? I feel like that's wasteful of screen real estate I could better use to see job details instead of that fat bar. It takes up 50% of the job details preview window and could easily be a compact view that's half that size.
I could always double click the job to open the full screen window but it still does the same thing there, huge bar taking up 1/3rd of the job details view.

Can we trim the fat?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Suggestion: Ditch all the waste whitespace in the UI!

Post by veremin »

It tells me about the job duration/rate/bottleneck/etc - but why is it double spaced?
To highlight better the most important information users are typically looking for. Answering your question, it's not possible to trim that screen. Thanks.
kkuszek
Enthusiast

Post by kkuszek »

I just thought of another way to position this to allow for more usable free space.

What if it was possible to collapse the upper ribbon during use, or auto hide it.

This would be a similar way to how windows/office allows the drop arrow to function if you need more screen real estate space. In my normal day to day use and monitoring I do not always require items from the top ribbon and auto hide would work well for me.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Certain eastern OS locales require that extra space to fit their special font type which is wider, this is why spacing may seem excessive with western locales.

Upper ribbon can definitely be collapsed by right-clicking on any tab, you will see the corresponding option in the shortcut menu.
kkuszek
Enthusiast

Post by kkuszek » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Gostev!
I learned something new today. I was looking for the standard down/up pointing arrow in the upper right hand side by the minimize/close buttons. I never would have guessed right clicking, but that's very helpful now that I enabled it.
Craigb
Influencer
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Craig Braithwaite

Post by Craigb »

just a +1 for reducing whitespace and thinking about UI design in general. Developers tend to have large monitors. Admins are often connecting in via whatever is to hand and anything that isn't usable on 1024x768 is just not viable.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Unfortunately, the reality is that we have a number of multi-page topics on these forums with complaints of how UI is unusable on large high-DPI monitors - and this is the first topic in the history that has complaints about the opposite ;) which is understandable because in general, the whole market moves to high resolutions - not the other way around.