Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
John@TechSavvy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Merrill

Veeam Endpoint Backup - Bitlocker error on drive without it

Post by John@TechSavvy »

support case number is 02085913

Hello fight fans,

I have a rather strange issue. I am getting the error below for seemly no reason. I am using bitlocker on my server. When the server boots, you put in the password and it starts to load the OS. The encryption is enabled on the Dta drive (e:) but not on the tape backup (I:). The odd thing is, the error only occurs if I am NOT logged in. If I log in the backup works perfectly. Here is my log info...

Code: Select all

Error: This drive is locked by BitLocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel. Cannot create folder. Folder path: [I:\VeeamBackup\]. --tr:FC: Failed to create directory. Directory path: [I:\VeeamBackup\]. --tr:Failed to call DoRpc. CmdName: [FcCreateDir]. This drive is locked by BitLocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel. Cannot create folder. Folder path: [I:\VeeamBackup\]. 
Job has been stopped with failures. Name: [Backup Job FS1], JobId: [7f5df0b4-88b4-43bb-adee-7fbdb60b6348] Error: This drive is locked by BitLocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel. Cannot create folder. Folder path: [I:\VeeamBackup\]. 
Again, drive I: does NOT have bitlocker enabled and works perfectly fine when I am logged in. And Yes, I have a folder under I called VeeamBackup. Yes, the permissions are set to Everyone / Full Control.

Thank you,
John Merrill
Tech Savvy, LLC.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup - Bitlocker error on drive without

Post by PTide »

Hi,

So you are trying to use a tape drive (I:) as a target to backup to, is that correct?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You are saying that you have internal drives (source for backup job) protected with Bitlocker, is that correct? Thanks.
John@TechSavvy
Novice

Post by John@TechSavvy »

PTide - Yes, the Tape Drive (I:) is the target of the backup. ANd I have more info now. After the post, I logged into the server and was able to successfully backup to the tape drive. THe backup was successful until April 11th. Then I started getting the bitlocker error again.

I think what happened is the server rebooted or lost power, then was turned back on. Then, one of the office folks entered the bitlocker password (right after POST), but, they do not log into the server. I think what is happening is, bitlocker is failing to release the external tape drive until someone logs into the server. I'm going to check it in the morning. I'm pretty sure it is a bitlocker issue.

THanks the the reply and sorry for my slow response ~ John
John@TechSavvy
Novice

Post by John@TechSavvy »

Dima P - No that is incorrect. AS stated in my fir message (twice), "The encryption is enabled on the Dta drive (e:) but not on the tape backup (I:). Again, drive I: does NOT have bitlocker enabled".

Also, the tape drive is a USB external. Please see my previous post for more information. I think it is bit locker not releasing the USB drive until the server is logged into for the first time after a reboot.

Thanks ~ John
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

John,
I'm going to check it in the morning. I'm pretty sure it is a bitlocker issue.
Let us know how it goes. Thanks.