Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Searching AD restore point extremely slow

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

We have an AD domain that has several thousand users and computers, and when doing an item level recovery from AD, searching for an object through the explorer takes a very long time, 2.5 - 5 hours to search for one object. It shows it is searching through a huge number of objects, over 25,000 but I don't think we have that many, and even if we do, should the search take that long? I have to try to find what OU I need to do a restore from outside of the Veeam Explorer so I can be more responsive to a restore request.

Restoring only takes a few seconds, but when I have to wait for a search to complete over hours, it is pretty frustrating.

Is this normal, or something I should open a ticket on?
dropped91
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Searching AD restore point extremely slow

Post by dropped91 »

Hi,

you can try to use the Veeam Enterprise Manager.
Be sure that you Indexing the machine (under "Advanced" in the job settings).

How it works?
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I do not have indexing enabled on the job that backs up the DCs. Would that help in general, or give me the option of doing it in BEM? I don't see the option to do an AD item restore in BEM, only SQL, Oracle, and Sharepoint.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

BEM does not have AD item recovery functionality. I recommend you open a support case, but most likely the reason for this is poor backup storage performance.