Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Coldforest
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Coldforest

libpanel.so.5: cannot open shared object file

Post by Coldforest »

Hi,

I'm trying to install Veeam for Linux on a Fedora 25 virtual machine. Everything went fine up and until I tried running 'veeam':

veeam: error while loading shared libraries: libpanel.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Process up to this point included:
$ sudo rpm -ivh veeam-release-fc23-1.0-1.x86_64.rpm
$ sudo dnf install veeam
$ sudo usermod -a -G veeam <user>

Followed by:
$ su - <user>
$ veeam

This virtual machine is a development machine (Fedora 25 Workstation) with all the dev group install packages installed.

Thanks for the help trying to identify why this isn't working.
Coldforest
Novice

Re: libpanel.so.5: cannot open shared object file

Post by Coldforest »

One more thing here. I see that this shared library is part of ncurses and, specifically, ncurses5. Fedora 25 includes ncurses6. I see that Veeam is meant to be supported on Fedora 23-25 (I believe ncurses5 is available on F23 but not F24/F25). I see that I have the .fc23 veeam install present:

Installed Packages
veeam.x86_64 1.0.0.944-1.fc23 @veeam

I've tried a 'dnf update veeam' to see if there's an updated version of veeam (.fc25?), but this never actually does anything. Seems like I need a new build of veeam for FC25 (I hesitate to try to get both ncurses5 and ncurses6 installed - and working correctly - in parallel on my F25 target).
Coldforest
Novice

Post by Coldforest »

Removing veeam and re-installing the *fc24* version corrected this.
Coldforest
Novice

Post by Coldforest »

Incidentally I'm not sure why a 'dnf update' didn't recognize the fc23-fc24 update; this would have been nice as it would have prevented the confusion and eventual manual remove/re-installer newer steps...
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

So are you saying you upgraded from fc23 to fc25 using "dnf system upgrade"? If so, it's possible we're hardcoding paths in our repo setup which indeed should be corrected, although we don't currently have a fc25 repo so it's possible that wouldn't have worked anyway (the fc24 package does work fine on fc25 but the upgrade process would have tried to find an fc25 repo and failed since it doesn't currently exist).

See question 4.3 in the DNS system upgrade FAQ. Veeam is a 3rd party repo and when I get a chance I'll check our packages and see if we use variables or hardcoded paths for repos and perhaps this is something we can address in the future.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Yes, VAL had been tested on Fedora 25 and fc24 package should work just fine, indeed, however for some reason the appropriate package was not placed on the download page. That will be fixed soon.

Thank you