tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Is this the right product for me?

Post by tom11011 »

**Newbie Alert**

Group,

I am interested in this products backup capabilities and not necessarily the replication. I have had a look at vizioncore's vranger pro, but it doesn't look like I can use the product accross the wan. The vizioncore vreplication product requires vmware at the backup site which is what I need to avoid, see below.

Here is what I want to do.

We have 3 vmware servers attached to an ISCSI san.

I want to backup the virtual machines and send them accross the wan to an alternate location. This would eliminate the need for us to use tape drives and tape rotations.

But, the alternate location does not have vmware. We would have a single windows servers running 2003/2008 with a large disk on the order of about 1TB or more.

So, I would just want to store the vm's on a windows server across the wan for safe keeping and file retrieval when necessary.

If this is possible, where is the veeam software installed at? If it is installed on each vsphere server, how does it find my windows server across the wan? If it is installed only on the windows server accross the wan, how does it find my vsphere servers?

Thanks in advance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Is this the right product for me?

Post by Gostev »

Hi Tom, if all of these servers are on the same network (connected via VPN), then there are absolutely no issues for Veeam Backup finding them. Thanks!
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Post by tom11011 »

Thanks for the reply. Why would a vpn be required?

Where does the veeam software install at?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

VPN is required to transparently and securely unite these two sites into a single network with data travelling over internet.

Veeam Backup server should be installed in source site for local backups, then you can sync those backups to server in remote site with tools like RSYNC. This is most typical scenario our customers are using.